1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Import multiple .vCard files in Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by matt.ledger, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soulraven

soulraven

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Since the filename contains spaces you may need to wrap it with double quotes. Try the following and let us know if it works.

Code:
    objWSHShell.Run chr(34) & strVCName & chr(34)
    Regards,
    Rollin

3. soulraven

soulraven

is working, but when i import the contacts with outlook, the contacts is duble, is any solution for this?i import with Motorola phone tools.....

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

So there are duplicate contacts shown in Outlook now? If so, once all the contacts are finished being imported by the macro just manually export them from Outlook to .CSV format. You can then delete the Contacts within Outlook and just manually import the newly created .CSV file. I believe Outlook should prompt you whether or not to import duplicates.

If that doesn't work for you then you can simply open the exported .CSV file in Excel and then delete the duplicate rows of data before re-saving the file and then importing back into Outlook.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. jimr381

jimr381 Jim

You do know that you can drag the vcards .vcf files from Windows explorer into the contacts folder and they will go in as contacts right?

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

In theory this should work but in the past I've had several machines that wouldn't cooperate and gave errors when I used this method. If I remember correctly the original vCards were created or exported in a program other than Outlook.

We'll have to wait to see what the OP says.

Regards,
    Rollin

7. jimr381

jimr381 Jim

They should in theory work if they have the .vcf extension. Vcards are great because they can be imported into Lotus Notes, Groupwise and Outlook.

8. rabble

rabble

This macro is great! thanks :)

Is there a way to specify other than the default contacts folder for the files to import to?

I did copy all of my contacts out to a new folder before running this, so I was able to create a whole separate folder with the new contacts, but it would be nice if I could do it in the macro.

9. scifidavey

scifidavey

I was asking the same question and got nowhere with the first solution in the form of an .csv and I'm not going anywhere near the second. I tried this and it was easily done, just a bunch of single clicking, but fast none the less.

Put all of the existing vCards you want to import into one folder. Half size that window to the left of the screen.

Select the Edit menu followed by Select All

Launch Outlook express and go to the mail window.

Half size the window to the right so you can see the Folder with the Highlighted vCards behind it, that are dimly highlighted in grey due to that folder being in the background

Drag the background grey highligted vCards onto the contacts folder you choose, I chose the one circled on my out look.

Up pops all of those vCards and you just Save and Close them or close the window as you see fit.

7. Pretty Simple

When I tried to upload a picture I got an errors on page and I'm unable to insert the picture that makes this reference really easy to understand. Hope it works for you!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/532618