1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Import Outlook 2002 address book to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by agill, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agill

agill Thread Starter

I have tried to import my .WAB file from Microsoft Office Outlook 2002 to Outlook Express. I used File, Import from within Outlook Express. I select the .wab file to import, and I get a message in about 1/2 a second saying it has been done but no addresses are imported.
    Do you have to have both programs open? Is there another way to import addresses into OE?

2. suzi

suzi

Try exporting the address book from Outlook to Outlook Express. You might also have to set the option to share the address book on one or both places. I had that problem with Outlook 2000 and OE6 and doing it that way worked for me after I set the options in OE to share the address book (before I exported it from Outlook).

Hope this helps. In the web and email forum here there are threads with links to Outlook Express help sites too. There's a thread I started on Dec. 30 with a lot of info.

3. roban

roban

Export your Outlook contacts as a .csv file and then import into addressbook. That will do the trick.

4. Vette1

Vette1

What is a csv file, and what are the steps to do that? Thanks.

5. roban

roban

Open Outlook and click on file/import and export/ choose export to a file. Click on "Next" choose "comma seperated values (windows)" Click "Next" In the box that opens highlight "contacts" Click "Next". The next box asks you where you want to save the file so choose a folder usually "My Documents" Give the file a name you will remember. Click "Next" and your file will be created with the .csv suffix. Next go to your AddressBook and open it. Go to File/Import/Other Addressbook. In the box that opens choose the bottom option "Text File (comma seperated values) the next box asks you to locate the file so poit it to the csv file you just made. You might see a box after that asks you to map values, so just check all the boxes. That's it bud....good luck

6. Vette1

Vette1

Roban....... excellent instructions. Everything imported except my broadcast list. Is there anyway to copy the Distribution list to the Outlook Express address book? Thanks for the help.

7. agill

agill Thread Starter

Thanks for info. Regarding suggestion to set options in OE to SHARE, how exactly do you do this? Thank you

8. suzi

suzi

To share the address book, open it and click tools, option, and check "share contact information with Microsoft Outlook and other applications".

This Outlook Express 6. I'm not sure if that's in previous versions.

Good luck.

9. agill

agill Thread Starter

Hello Suzi: thanks for reply but I DO have OE 6.0 but under Tools, Options there is no option that says "Share contact info with ...."
    There are about 10 tabs under Tools, Options (General, Security, etc.) if you know which tab it is under, please let me know. I have tried to crawl through each of them and also their sub-tabs but could not find anything about "Share contact info..."
    Aruna

10. suzi

suzi

agill,

It sounds like you might have clicked on tools, options in OUtlook Express instead of in the address book.

You need to open the address book, even if it's empty, and then click tools, options, and check the "share contact info..

Let me know what happens...

11. Throne Logic

Throne Logic

Greetings,

I found this thread while hunting down info on this very problem. I have the same issue as agill.

I am on an XP machine with Office XP and OE 6.0. There is no option for "Share contact info . . ." under TOOLS | OPTIONS for OE's main window. However, the problem I'm sure agill is facing, relates to the fact that we do not have an "OPTIONS" under the Address Book's TOOLS menu. The only choices listed are ACCOUNTS, ACTION, and a grayed out SYNCRONIZE NOW.

This has been driving me batty for hours. I have two separate address books with specific applications (faxing, etc.) that can only use one or the other.

Insight is very welcome.

- TL

12. suzi

suzi

Amazing - I got an email notification after all this time. Throne Logic, are you trying to sync them so both Outlook and Outlook Express have the same contacts?

In Outlook Express, close the address book and just have it open to the inbox. The click file. That's where it allows you to import and export the address book. When you mouse over export, it give an option for address book, same with import. I hope that helps.

13. Throne Logic

Throne Logic

I briefly entertained the idea initially, however, I'd rather not have to manage two databases.

The whole story:
    I'm actually dealing with two machines, neither are mine. I'm upgrading my father to a new PC. The old PC has Outlook 2000 and OE 5. After much playing around, I've settled on the fact that Outlook is using the WAB. If you check the properties of the Contacts folder on this PC, the option for "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is actually grayed out. The confusing part is that "Show this folder . . ." option remains grayed out even when you change the option for sharing in OE's Address Book options (and, yes, close all the involved apps).

Anyway, I'm learning alot about WAB's, PAB's, and OAB's, but not making much progress here.

I think I'm going to try and reinstall OE6.

If you've got any more ideas, I'd love to hear them.

- TL

14. suzi

suzi

On the old PC, are there 2 different address books (WAB)'s with different contents? I'm not clear on that part.

When I got a laptop and wanted to copy my address book from my desktop to the laptop, I burned the WAB file to CD and then copied it to the laptop in My Documents. I can double click it on the laptop and it opens in the address book format but I never imported in into OE, but I think I could. If there's no CD burner on the old computer, you could probably use a floppy if it's not too big.

15. Throne Logic

Throne Logic

Everything is networked. I'm not having trouble with transferring from old PC to new. I was just using the old PC as a comparison for what we used to be able to do. I'd like to mimic this on the new PC.

Specifically, my trouble is that there are applications I'd like to use on the new PC (HP's All-In-One Faxing App, for example) that only seem to be able to look at the WAB. All the contacts are, as you might expect, in the Outlook Contacts folder. Since the two address books (OAB and WAB) are not "talking" with each other, I am dealing with two separate DB's depending on what task I'm trying to do. It would be nice to have this like the old PC with both the WAB and Outlook contacts pointing at the same underlying database.

At this point, I've updated everything I can think of that has anything to do with anything regarding addressing.

Getting frustrated . . . uhg.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice