1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Import Outlook Express Mail into Windows 7 Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Old computer was running Windows XP and is now toast. It no longer runs; but, we have backed up the Outlook Express DBX files and they are accessible from a USB drive attached to the new computer.

New computer is running Windows 7. How do we import those DBX files into Windows 7 Live Mail?

All the instructions I've found in a Google search so far tell us to click "File" on the menu bar; but, there is no "File" item on the Windows 7 Live Mail menu bar.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

At the top right next to the little paint brush, is the show menu list, click it and select "Show All Menus"

Now you will see the tool bar.

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks, we gave up on it when the exasperated customer finally said just forget it; the mail isn't that important.

I'll save your note for when I run into this again.

Rant: Sure was nice of Microsoft to leave that necessary detail out of every document I found in their site pertaining to the subject. Then there was the problem of not being able to even view the address book in Windows 7. I finally took it back to my office, printed it to PDF and e-mailed it to him.

Just think how much better things would be for us if Microsoft had real competition

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yeah, your pretty much on your own when it comes to Micro$oft.

5. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Alex,

You've had over 6,000 posts here.

Can you point me to some of your posts where you actually
    offer help to others???

I used search and all I seem to be able to find are threads
    you started about problems you are having.

6. fran quigley

fran quigley

When using Outlook Express with a web attachment, I must depress "copy shortcut" , then open the web page, right click on "yahoo" and left click "paste" ,then "enter" key. Then the web page will open. I used to just click on the web page on the inbox message, and it would appear. How can I correct this?
    Fran Quigley

7. Alex Ethridge

When you have the title of "Distinguished Member" I might take the time.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If Toyota wrote software ... M$ would be asking for a Bailout.

Have you looked into DBX viewers ??

9. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried DBX viewers in the past with varying degrees of success; but, what I like to do is import in total all e-mail when I transfer a user from one machine to another and that is what I was trying to do in this case until the user threw up his hands and said to forget it.

I explained to him there would be no additional charge for the time it took me to figure it out simply because it would not be fair to charge a fee for that time. But, he explained the only important part was the address book. That's when I discovered Windows 7 even blocked access to the address book. I guess I could think of a circumstance where that might be desired; but, that set of circumstances would be rare, indeed.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If it were me .. I would have copied the mail to a folder.
    Not sure .. But Vista's Mail should be able to read OE's mail.
    You can install Vista's mail in W7 .. Tutorial
    Then you can move the address book .. (sorta)

I'm still looking for a way to install OE in W7 .. Don't think I'm gonna find it.

I've used a DBX reader in the past .. It got the job done ... But that was before I knew to Drag n Drop OE's Email to a folder.

Were'd he come from and who pulled his chain ??

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

??

If you "Export" all the OE Data as described in the MS article #1, then is is a breeze to "Import" everything into windows mail, address book included. Takes about 15 minutes total.

12. Alex Ethridge

I guess you missed the part about the Windows XP system being toast. It no longer runs.

13. Alex Ethridge

Nyob,

I don't want to waste yours or anyone else's time on this . Now that this customer is satisfied, I can figure this out at my leisure.
    I assume you are referring to VistaRookie. I don't know where he got the idea to ask such a question; but, I assume he has seen another thread where I posed a hypothetical question about power supplies and voltages. Someone came along with a tangentiential, off-topic comment that exhibited he either didn't read the question or lacked the ability to understand it.

That is something that happens here too much so I posted something about his polluting the thread with an off-topic comment. He and I bandied that to and fro several times and I guess VistaRookie decided he had to jump in.

That's the only thing I can figure his jumping in with an off-topic comment like that.

There was a time when about all I posted in forums (many forums besides this one) was helping others and I do have posts here where I have helped, or attempted to help others just in the last few days. VistaRookie just hasn't found them. Anyway, I deal with only business systems and applications and, consequently, many others' knowledge has surpassed mine and I don't post as much help to others as I once did.

Back in the days of Windows 3.1 through Windows 98, I came up with a way to bail out of a complete Windows disaster in less than five minutes. I got lots of kudos for that one--and used it many times myself, too. It worked so well, I set it up on nearly every system I worked on. Still do on any '98 and lower system.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes ... OE not running can mess things up.
    Increased post count is all I can think of.

15. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I guess that blows the 15 minute statement.

You Can import everything into OE on another XP PC that has not configured OE yet, then export it to the format needed for WM, might take a bit longer than 15 minutes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice