1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Important Data on non-Formated Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DirtyArry, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

Hello, i've just formatted my Harddrive and backed up all my important data onto my slave harddrive... i reinstalled windows on my master harddrive now everything on my slave is gone!! it says "harddrive not formatted would you like to format it now" what can i do to get my stuff back??? pleaaaaaaaaaase help me

2. Sponsor

3. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

try using knoppix live eval cd, if the partition is FAT32 worked for me.

4. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

how do i use it where can i get it from, if i search for it it shows me loads of linux stuff :(

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try PC Inspector, it's the program I reach for to fix corrupted partition tables...

6. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

Not Working :(

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Not working how? If you have a partition table that is FUBAR, it should tell you that. Need specific error information to diagnose this.

There are many ways to recover this, but none will work until we know EXACTLY what you did.

How, exactly, did you back up to the drive that is now reported as unformatted? What did you do? What software did you use? Version? Options?

What Windows OS are you running?

How big is the HD that you copied from? That you copied to?

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

9. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

I was on XP Pro SP2 and i had loads of VALUBUL data for example i was making a DVD nothing illigal like films, its our own dvd and i had to back that up; so i put everything on, game saves, music, pictures etc on my slave harddrive (130GB)

I formatted my master harddrive and installed Windows 98se and then A fresh copy of XP Pro SP2 ontop (dont ask why but i find it easier to do it that way) then since that its saying "The Disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
    I really cant afford to format as the data is 2 important

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

HOW did you back up? What did you use? How did you use it? What options did you set?

11. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

i just copied everything from my master onto the slave then formatted the master.

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I am through with this thread until my request for detailed answers are fulfilled.

"just copied" is not detailed and provides no useful information. "not working" WRT the recovery utility JohnWill recommended is useless.

13. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

before i formatted i ziped all the data up and copied it over to the other harddrive.

14. TSGTSP

TSGTSP

Right click on that drive in My Computer and select "Properties"... What file system is that drive using?

15. DirtyArry

DirtyArry Thread Starter

16. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Raw=not good

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389861