1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

important mp3 files changing themselves

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djcrewz, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djcrewz

djcrewz Thread Starter

Hello all, I am as my tag implies a dj, in fact I am a very scared dj right now. I have over 16 gigs of mp3's on my hard drive, 90% of them were scanned in over 5 yrs ago by myself. My problem is this, I began to update my mp3 collection last week and noticed much to my horror that while the mp3 file name remained intact the actual file itself was completely changed, not only was it the wrong song, it started at odd points of the wrong song. I am somewhat unsure as to whether this is a hardware (HD) issue or whether it has more to do with software. I have run Norton and it came up with no known virus so basically I am stumped.

All I know is that it took me the better part of a year to install these songs and now it seems as if I am losing them one by one. My first thought was that perhaps the files were degrading due to age, but that is not the case as the same thing happened to a brand new file I added last week.

Help me please!!

2. Rockn

Rockn

It still sounds like a virus. Do you have any mixing or other software that may have modified the files in some way? Get a free online scanning program like AVG at www.grisoft.com and try it again...

Could be another component like bad memory. If you want to keep them from "degrading" any further make all of your MP3 collection read-only. GO into windows explorer and select all files with the MP3 extension, right click and select properties and change the file attribute to read-only.

3. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

I hope you were backing up your files, doesn't sound
    like it, but certainly sounds like a worm is crawling
    up through your MP3s, after that it attacks your
    system itself. Very destructive and believe cannot
    be reversed as far as I know. Happened to a couple
    friends I know last year. Never open files giving to
    you on the net with .exe or .bat file extensions.
    And of course aways back up because these things
    are fairly common unfortunately...

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Another possibility..

Go to your harddrive manufacturer's site and download their diagnostic program. It's possible that your HDD is slowly dying and losing data or mixing it up as it goes.

Back up your data quick.

good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice