1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Important photos are corrupt/mixed with other photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by sinicoll, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinicoll

sinicoll Thread Starter

Hi

My sister recently got engaged, I took loads of photos of the big night, stuck them on the PC and cleared the memory card. Upon actually looking at them, they are all corrupted - they appear to have mixed with other pictures.

The thumbnails are fine but obivously this is a different part of the file.

A lot of the software I have come across is designed to recoved lost files rather than repair corrupt images - can someone please help!?!

I have uploaded an example here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3997977288/

2. wfwsew

wfwsew

#1 do not take any more pictures on that memory card until you try some type of recovery program, pictures taken now will overwrite the deleted ones. they should still be there until over written.

#2 look through the post on this forum and find a recovery program to try on the memory card, I can not remember them but there has been lots of post similar to yours so I know you can find one. probably someone else will chime in with the name and link to a good program.

hope this helps some.

frank

3. wfwsew

wfwsew

4. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
  5. Topbloke

Topbloke

I hope this isn't too late for you... (or alternatively that it is and that's because you got your photos back!)

When photos appear to be corrupted as in your instance, it can just be that the file index information has got corrupted. This would be similar to what happens when a picture is deleted and the index info for the particular file is deleted - i.e. the image data itself still exists, the device just doesn't know how to piece it together.

Therefore the same kind of principles may apply in this case as if the pictures had been deleted....

e.g...

to increase the chances of being able to recover pictures after they have been deleted you must not save any new photos, files or data to it.

When you delete pictures (or any files) from a PC, memory card or USB memory device the data itself isn’t deleted, just the file system pointers that says where the data for those files is located. The area where the deleted picture data was stored is also now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it is too late to recover your deleted pictures so it is very, very important that new pictures or files aren’t saved to the memory card in the meantime.

One of the easiest ways to see if your deleted pictures can be recovered is to try some photo recovery software.

One tip is to try a demo version of a commercial product that will scan the memory card for deleted pictures and show you exactly what pictures can be recovered. At least that will show you if you can recover the deleted pictures or if it’s too late already. You can find more useful information on how to
    recover deleted photos from a PC, camera memory card or USB memory stick at http://www.recoverdeletedpictures.com

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice