1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

importing a .pst file to outlook

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fairfield1, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fairfield1

fairfield1 Thread Starter

Recently I reinstalled XP and Office. I saved the large .pst file (254 MB) that contains all my emails to a CD. Now the newly installed Outlook will not accept the old .pst file. :( I have worked hours trying to import the file to the newly installed Outlook. I have tried everything I can think of and everything I could find on the web :confused: except purchasing some software specifically for this purpose. I took a careful look at one such software program sold by Pareto and found several scam notices on the web about the seller, including comments that his software does not work and that he does not respond to requests for refunds. :mad:: I prefer not to buy any new software because my finances are limited right now and I am not so sure any such program will work anyway.

When I try to reinstall the .pst file my computer gives me "excuses." :(

EG: (messages paraphrased from memory):

"This is not a .pst file." (It is a .pst file.) :rolleyes:
    "This file cannot be located" (It was right there in the same window.) :rolleyes:
    "Cannot transfer a file into the same folder from which it comes." (It wasn't being transfered from the same folder) :rolleyes:
    "You do not have permission for this action." (I am the computer administrator and am listed as such. If I don't who does?):confused:
    "There is not enough memory. " (More than 50 MB free on an 80 MB HD; 1 GB RAM with not other applications running):confused:

I would like to recover these email files. :up

Any advice? :)

2. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I am moving this to the appropriate forum to increase your chances of a technical response.

LAN

3. buffoon

buffoon

Have you unchecked the "read only"?

4. Pengu

Pengu

Which version of Outlook have you installed? Have you tried this way:

File--->import and export--->import from another program or file--->personal folder file (.pst)

Then browse to the cd and chosen the .pst file

5. fairfield1

Yes, thank you. I did that early in the process to no effect.

6. fairfield1

Yes, thank you. I did that several times before I originally posted this thread. Outlook still did not accept the .pst file in question.

7. fairfield1

Yes, thank you. I did that before I started this thread. And checked it. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem

8. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi,

Have you tried copying the file from the cd to your pc (eg. to your desktop) then unchecking the read only box, then tried importing from there?

Rob

9. fairfield1

Thank you.

10. fairfield1

Yes, I tried that too, several times to make sure I got it right.

11. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

No problema. Good to see you're getting initial suggestions. Be patient, and search around. Someone else may have had the same issue.

:)

12. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Try copying the pst file & pasting it direct into your outlook folder,
    the normal location is : C:\*Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\*Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

If there is already be a pst file here move it to your desktop in case this idea does not work & you need to restore it.

Rob

13. buffoon

buffoon

It's been sometime since I did it but I seem to remember simply saving the pst file didn't do the job. I had to export it (destination folder of my choice) and then import it again into the new email programme.

You might try (unless you already have done so) to restore your pst file to the PC. I suggest you give it a different name from that on your CD and copy it to your desktop.

Then either import it from there thru the wizard or do it manually.

File---Import/Export, from another program or file, Choose Personal Folder File (.pst), browse to (say) C:\Desktop\new pst backup (or whatever name you've given it), set the options to "Include subfolders" and "import items into the same folder in:" and select the folder in your Outlook (Personal Folders, I'd think), and press finish if you're using the wizard.

14. fairfield1

Yep, I tried that several times before I posted this thread. Outlook ignores the file l moved there and installs another data file along side it in the same folder.

That does raise a good question, however. There is another "Outlook" folder; it also has .pst files in it. It is a different folder with the same name. The folder you specify above I will call Folder 1. This other folder I will call Folder 2. Folder 2 has some files with the same names as the files in Folder 1, but most of those files are different sizes than the files in Folder 1. I have tried the process you recommended for Folder 1 with Folder 2; also to no avial. The location of Folder 2 is: C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\. Do you know the function of the files in Folder 2.?

I am fumbling around it the dark here. My only consolation is that it seems that so far I have not done any serious damage.

15. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Can you open the file in outlook? (untick read only first)

File | Open | Outlook pst File

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice