importing address book

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shamrock

I had backed up my address book to CD and when I try to import it nothing is in it.
Then I manually put a few addresses in my new address book and when I try to import the one with old addresses it shows only the 'new' addresses

You got the right CD? :D

Seriously, can you view the contents or does it show to have something on it? It may have just gone wrong from the start and you didnt back it up.

Hi Shamrock,

When you saved your files to CD, you probably didn't zip the file. For some reason Windows changes the file attribute to "Read Only". :rolleyes:

Open the files and remove the tick beside "Read Only" and only leave the tick beside "Archive" enabled.

If anyone knows the "why" of this, I would love to know....

Cherokee :D

Shamrock

Cherokee: No, I hadn't zipped the address book when saving it. I didn't know you were supposed to.

DoyceJ: No, it doesn't show anything in it. Maybe it never did save it to begin with. I just can't remember if I had checked to make sure the addresses saved or not when I did it.

Shamrock,

Did you check file Properties, to see if there was a tick beside Read Only?

Shamrock

Cherokee: Yes, I checked and one ( I had tried saving on two different disks) did say read only... I changed it to archieve. The other disk had archieve checked. Neither one worked.

It shows as nothing in the file.

Shamrock,

Just to clarify, are we talking about an Address Book for your web browser?

Shamrock

I am talking about my address book in Outlook Express. I can manually replace the e-addresses cause I had them saved on paper too, it's just I would like to know why they evidently didn't save right when I copied them to disk.

Shamrock

Thanks for the help. I was able to 'test' backing up with my current address book and it worked... by saving it to the text file(comma separated values)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online