1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

importing address book

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Shamrock, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I had backed up my address book to CD and when I try to import it nothing is in it.
    Then I manually put a few addresses in my new address book and when I try to import the one with old addresses it shows only the 'new' addresses

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

You got the right CD? :D

Seriously, can you view the contents or does it show to have something on it? It may have just gone wrong from the start and you didnt back it up.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee

Hi Shamrock,

When you saved your files to CD, you probably didn't zip the file. For some reason Windows changes the file attribute to "Read Only". :rolleyes:

Open the files and remove the tick beside "Read Only" and only leave the tick beside "Archive" enabled.

If anyone knows the "why" of this, I would love to know....

Cherokee :D

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Cherokee: No, I hadn't zipped the address book when saving it. I didn't know you were supposed to.

DoyceJ: No, it doesn't show anything in it. Maybe it never did save it to begin with. I just can't remember if I had checked to make sure the addresses saved or not when I did it.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee

Shamrock,

Did you check file Properties, to see if there was a tick beside Read Only?

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Cherokee: Yes, I checked and one ( I had tried saving on two different disks) did say read only... I changed it to archieve. The other disk had archieve checked. Neither one worked.

It shows as nothing in the file.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee

Shamrock,

Just to clarify, are we talking about an Address Book for your web browser?

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I am talking about my address book in Outlook Express. I can manually replace the e-addresses cause I had them saved on paper too, it's just I would like to know why they evidently didn't save right when I copied them to disk.

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I was able to 'test' backing up with my current address book and it worked... by saving it to the text file(comma separated values)

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

You're welcome :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice