Importing automatic formatting from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gilberto17

I am upgrading from Outlook 2000 to 2003 and am experiencing problems in keeping the automatic formatting of my PST files, I have not yet imported the Rules... is this the reason? What should I do to ensure that alla te formatting of the "old" PST are kept in the "new" ones?

MANY CIAOS & GRAZIES

Gilberto

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi gilberto17

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Did you Import the .pst file into Outlook 2003, or did you copy the .pst file and open it into Outlook 2003?
File > Open > Outlook Data File

gilberto17

EAFiedler said:
Hi gilberto17

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Did you Import the .pst file into Outlook 2003, or did you copy the .pst file and open it into Outlook 2003?
File > Open > Outlook Data File
The first attempt I did "File > Open > Outlook Data File" and got a warning message regarding some "Unicode settings" that i did not understand (the only explication was a "pretended" higher efficiency quoted in the Office Help)

I also tried to import another PST 2000 file with the same negative results...

In any case I am looking for the "theoretical" right process to simply "redo" everything...

Gilberto

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, I just formatted a .pst file in Outlook 2000 and opened it in Outlook 2003 and the formatting was intact and I did not receive any error messages.

Mine was a small file, what size are the .pst files?

I then Imported the same .pst file into another Personal Folder and the original formatting was replaced with formatting from the default Personal folder.

At this time, it sounds like the problem is getting Outlook 2003 to actually recognize the .pst file, is that correct?

I have used the import tool to import .pst files successfully from the old 98-2002 format to the newer 2003 formatted 03 files. Like all the older files the XP and lower versions start getting squirlly with data integrity over 1GB and at 2GB you are forced to start a new .pst file. the new outlook 03 .pst may have some issues when importing a corrupted file, but it no longer has the 2GB limit, but the format and what not should still be brought over.

Have you used the outlook file import and conversion tool yet?

... or maybe I am missing the point of this completely?

gilberto17

I try to clarify my problem:
- I have Outlook 2000 pst files that use the automatic text formattin, that is, e.g., show the message header in green if the senders' address includes a specific word.
- when opening these files in Outlook 2003 I got an error message regarding some "Unicode" issue and I lost all the automatic formatting of the mails.

MANY THANKS

Gilberto

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online