Importing Excel XP to Outlook XP Address Book?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beefnprok

I'm ready to pull my hair out over this, I just started working as the tech guy at this law firm and out of all the incredibly difficult things I fell really accomplished for solving... this thwarts me.

I have a list of like 1200 names and something along the lines of 20 different columns of information for each name (i.e. last name, first name, client ID, home phone, etc.) which I am switching from this archaic program they were using into outlook. To do so I copied the dBase file to Excel XP and asked the paper clip how to import it to Outlook (in case you couldn't tell before how desperate I am, now you know) and he said:

Name each column of information you want to send
Go to Outlook and hit File>import
Chose program, then file
Select location in address book (i.e. Contacts)
Drag each named column into whichever section in the contacts list I want.
Here it also says that if I want to add a section I can click a button for it, but I don't have that button either (this is XP pro)

And then it should all be okay, so to try it out I loaded a names column into "Name" and the corresponding e-mail addresses into "e-mail", and all I got was the field "display name" showing the e-mail addresses as well as the "e-mail address" section displaying the e-mail addresses.

So I figured I was just doing something stupid, and I just took the whole dBase file to Excel and then just tried to import without mapping the location of each column. What I got was a different entry for each cell of the spreadsheet.

So as you can tell I am entirely lost, please if anyone can help me this should be such a simple task and I am really getting frustrated over it.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to directly import the dbase file into Outlook bypassing the whole Excel thing. In Outlooks menu go to file import/export and select Import from Schedule + or other program file. In the next window select dbase from the menu and then map all the areas you want to import to the Outlook fields. EASY!!

beefnprok

I tried that before I posted this. I get an error that there is no index file for my table, which is true, but I was thinking before that it was because Outlook couldn't read a dBase IV file and stopped at 3. So what I did was take my file in Excel, save it as db3, and tried to import that.

All was going great until it finished, and I had 11,523 blank entries in my contacts list.

Okay, so importing straight from dBase, not going so well, I am trying to export the dBIV to Corel Paradox as a Paradox .db file, which solves the index thing, and then back to the good old dBase IV, but I don't know if it will work.

So any other suggestions, please. And thanks for your input even if it isn't going to solve my problem it shows that you genuinely want to help and for that I am very appreciative.

Find an Outlook address book that is functioning, and export it to Excel. You will then find the format necessary for importing it back into Outlook.
It does look a little weird when exporting, but you should be able to figure it out.

beefnprok

I'll admit it was a great idea, but all Excel displays on the Outlook exported file is in cell A1 the letter "z" and then the name I made up to test this out in A2. I'm just as confused as ever, thanks though.

Any other suggestions?

:) What you have to do to fix this problem in in the Excell workbook that you are using you need to highlight column then at the left of the formula bar where it usually says A1 you need to name the ranges by clicking in that box and typing in the Name of Column. Any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online