1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Importing/Exporting address book from Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook (Windows 8)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sauncy56, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sauncy56

sauncy56 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12248 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20), 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907376 MB, Free - 1815405 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0NW73C
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Could someone please help me or direct me to a link, so that I may import my Outlook Express Contacts (XP) on one pc to Outlook (Windows 8) on a new pc? The other pc is a Dell Dimension 4700.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. sauncy56

sauncy56 Thread Starter

Thanks Terri for your response. Still working on it without much success. The xp address book is a .wab file and that is causing some problems with opening. I was able to send the file to another email address on Win 8 pc, but there is not even a file I can pay for to open it at the window 8 store. I went to Microsoft support and there seem to be others who are experiencing the same or similar frustrations. I am not allowed to do copy/paste. I am also working on finding the Contacts Folder in Win 8, which is giving others problems to. I don't give up easy, so thanks, I'll keep trying.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    According to that article all you have to do after you get the .wab file onto the new computer is to run Outlook and import (I'm looking at the section titled "Import Outlook Express contacts into the Outlook Contacts folder"). However, I wonder if it matters where you store the .wab.

Where have you stored it, and what error are you getting when you try to import?

???

5. sauncy56

sauncy56 Thread Starter

Hey Terry, Thanks. Actually I found Windows Easy Transfer in my programs on new pc. I downloaded it onto a flashdrive and installed it on the old pc with XP. I was getting more than the address book with this program and was able to do some selecting. The transfer went well I believe with one exception. I accidentally selected HomeGroupUser$ for the destination of the data to transfer to, instead of just my own account. I was unsure of what to select in the dropdown. Now I can't access that. Have a question into Microsoft Tech Group. I'll see what I hear back. Seems like too much work for such a little task. I'll get to the bottom of it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice