1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Importing Favorites File

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MBurge, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MBurge

MBurge Thread Starter

I have just installed a new computer. I did not save my favorites file from my previous computer, but experience tells me that file exists online, either at MSN (my ISP) or Qwest (my broadband provider). How do I get it from one of those sites? My mail came accross pretty much on its own, but I can't seem to get the Favorites file, which is quite important to me.

2. Rivera42

Rivera42

If what you mean is your Favorites in IE, (bookmarked Web pages IOW) those are saved locally and can be exported using the "Import/Export" option in the File menu of your browser. This option creates a file that you can save to disk or better yet, email to yourself. Put the email into a saved-messages folder and you'll always have a copy of your Favorites available to you anywhere you go.
    If you bookmarked sites with Yahoo or Google toolbars, you would need to go to either http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/ or www.google.com/bookmarks .
    As far as your ISP saving your bookmarked web pages automatically, I've never heard of that, at least not without you having specifically signed up for something. If you'd done that, however, you'd surely have been aware of it at the time.

3. MBurge

MBurge Thread Starter

My old computer is in the garage to be recycled, so I can't really get the file off of that and send it to my email address. But thanks for trying to help me.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've nver heard of it being saved online, either. But it's a small exported html file that will easily fit on a floppy. You can also export and transfer your cookies in the same menu.

Did you wipe the drive on the old machine? Does it have personal data? You could hook the old drive to the new machine and get all that stuff and more that you may have left behind. Some people make a living of finding old drives and stealing information from them.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Did you take the old HD out and keep it ... the favs can still be read off it.

6. Rivera42

Rivera42

He's right. You can (and probably should) remove the hard drive from your old computer and either install it directly in your new PC (if only temporarily), or you can buy an enclosure (around $20-$30) and install it there. An enclosure will enable you to use your old hard drive as an external hard drive with the new machine, and you will be able to access all of your old data, including your Favorites - provided you haven't formatted your old HD.

Elvandil raises an important point too. You should retain your old hard drive out of privacy considerations if nothing else.

In the future, if you're running Firefox this extension will save your bookmarks to a remote file, which you can then access from any computer anywhere:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice