1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Importing from Excel

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wolfworx, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I have a list of about 2000 e-mail addresses in Excel. Does anyone know how I can import them into the Outlook Express address book to form a mail group? I hope this is possible, I'd hate to retype all of them.
    :confused:

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

check the file, import, address book section in OE and OE help

you'll need to set up and save the excel info as a .txt file or .csv (comma separated value) file

try exporting one of your address folders as a .txt or .csv file to see how OE stores it re fields

then experiment a little with small (5 - 10 addresses) files till you get the hang of it

also <u>see tomsterdam's site</u> for lots of OE tricks and tools

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be more difficult than I thought it would be.

I have had no success at all with OE. It does not seem to want to map the address in the text file to the proper field in the OE address book. The operation just hangs.

I finally tried to bring the fields into an address book in Netscape Communicator 4.7. It can be done with a simple cut and paste operation! 1500 addresses! However...OE will import a Netscape ABOOK.NAB file but not a PAB.NA2 file (the type created with 4.7). Netscape does not seem to provide a utility for a conversion.

Much of this type of thing is very poorly documented and, as a result, wastes a good deal of time.

Unless I can find a way to import in OE, I suppose I will be forced to go the Netscape route. Does anyone has any further suggestions?

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

i don't know what approach you used but try
    file
    export
    address book
    csv file

open it in excel - has all the fields etc

move oyur data around to match the fields
    import your data
    do a copy, paste format from the original fields onto the imported fields

save as csv

import into OE

do it all the timie to/from OE, to/from my grouip mail program, etc

takes some practice wwhich is why i suggested small samples as tests

otherwise:
    not a real netscape fan but some people do find it easier to use netscape browser and/or email
    - i still have v4.7, refuse to upgrade as the possible problems outweigh any enhancements to me

sure you'll get other opinions though

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!