1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Importing msgs from Outlook Express4

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by amethyst_ros, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amethyst_ros

amethyst_ros Thread Starter

Hi:
    I am trying to import some messages from Outlook Express 4 to ver. 5. the files were backed up in ver 4. which created files for inbox, and sent files having the following extensions for the inbox & sent items files (idx and mbx) and folders.nch.

when i try the import into o/express 5 after selecting the location of the backup files i get an error msg. as follows:

No messages can be found in this folder, or another applic is running that has the required files open. please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open. have tried all sorts of things but nothing doing.

what am I doing wrong? any help is welcome in recovering the files as the user desperately needs her old mail. can these files be pulled up in outlook?

thanx
    rhonda

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    To my knowledge you didn't need to "back up" anything to be USED again---just back them up just in case.

To my knowledge, when you installed OE5, it should have automatically taken your OE4 files.

I might try uninstalling OE5, putting the OE4 files back where they were, and reinstall OE5, hoping it'll now grab the OE4 files automatically.

Of course, I don't see the point of using OE5 when OE6 is the latest either...

;)

3. amethyst_ros

I agree about the latest ver. but thing is that's the ver on the computer. The prob is that I am pulling the files from an older computer that had oe4 to a micron or dell which uses oe 5. the op sys is w2k.

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Have you tried to import the messages? In my OE6, there is an option File > Import > Messages.

There, I can import messages even from OE4. So that should I think work for you.

5. amethyst_ros

Ok. just letting you know that my prob has been solved. someone pointed me to Microsoft Knowledgebase Articles 231796 and 264872 - seems that I just missed one step but everythings all right now

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice