1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Importing Symbols to Microsoft Word 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by murlocdummy, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murlocdummy

murlocdummy Thread Starter

I've created a character at unicode hex E000. Whenever I try to enter it into Microsoft Word, however, it ends up giving me some kind of Chinese character. I tried saving the character at unicode hex E010, as well, but it just gives me another Asian character.

I don't want to have to find those Asian characters and change them, as I may need them in the future.

2. Sponsor

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

What font are you using?

4. murlocdummy

Times New Roman, but it says Font: All when I use the editor. I mean, should it matter?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Okay, I assumed you had created a special symbol - how did you create your character?
    For instance, when I try to insert a Unicode E000, I actually get, in Times New Roman, the symbol à, which in Unicode is 00E0 (the same happens in Symbol, only I get a diamond)....

6. murlocdummy

eudcedit.exe, of course.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Um, I had heard of that maybe 5 years ago? Never have used it.
    Okay, I have now. What I found was that, despite assigning it to all fonts, it never showed up in lists of the fonts. Rather, when you save it in the Character Editor, go to the Character Map (All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Character Map) and you will see it there. Select it, and then click Copy. Then you can go to your document and paste it in.

8. murlocdummy

Odd, it's still not coming up. It's as if it never saved to either E000 or E010. Perhaps it's because user account controls were on when I used eudcedit.exe. It's a well known fact that UAC will cause programs to not work properly.

9. murlocdummy

It seems that UAC caused a few problems, but even then, Microsoft Word will not allow the character to appear, even when I copy and paste it. Even if it's successfully copied to Notepad, it reverts to the Chinese symbol when it's copied and pasted to Word.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

I don't have Vista, so I am afraid I can't help then....sorry :(

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!