1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Importing user-defined categories from excel into outlook- how?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by SarahL, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahL

SarahL Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I apologise if this has been covered before. I am planning on importing a large number of contacts from excel to outlook (both 2003).
    Because there are so many contacts I want to be able to categorize them beyond the default categories provided in outlook (company, job title etc) so that I can then sort them alphabetically, ctrl+shift those of the desired category and send out emails. E.g. say I want to add the category favourite pizza, and then I may want to sort the contacts to email everyone whose favourite pizza is (say) vegeterian.
    I have found two ways to add additional categories:
    1) via the user-defined fields (text based)
    2) Add an additional category to the master list (yes or no)
    drawbacks:
    1) I have not found a way to map these details to those in outlook, i.e. when trying to map I can't find the user-defined categories list anywhere (?)
    2) this DOES map but you "can't sort by categories" when looking at a phone-list view of contacts. It is also possibly prone to error as all the information is not under the same heading (e.g. favourite pizza vs listing a number of different pizzas)
    I don't think I explained that very well... but if it makes sense to anyone please help!
    Thanks very much :eek::eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!