1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

impossible Hard drive format? (maxtor 200gb)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by c2phace, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c2phace

c2phace Thread Starter

Hello I just purchased a 200GB maxtor hard drive and want to format it.... sounds simple right...wrong. It needs to be fat32 (it will be external and running on both mac os10 and windows 2000/xp). My pc right now is windows 2000.
    ---methods I have tried---

-Pluged in the hd (and the enclosure) through usb.
    -Found the new drive and used the right click format option.
    -selected fat32 and clicked start
    -stopped near the end and says hard drive is too big. (only supports 32?gb)
    -failed

-Took hard drive out of the enclosure and hooked it up inside.
    -tried using the windows 2000 start disc to boot
    -format from the disc gives me only the NTFS file system option.
    -failed

-cannot do anything through dos seeing as it does not exsist on win2000.

-Tried boot from windows 98 disc
    -PC ignores the disc and asks me to put in a boot disc?
    -I dont understand the problem?
    -failed

Is it in any way possible to do this with my current setup. Any information would be very helpful. thank you very much for reading.

-C2phace

2. norton850

norton850

The XP format system will only allow a FAT32 format up to 32GB and I'm guessing that 2000 is the same.

Possibilities might include partitioning the hard drive and making one of the partitions 32GB and put FAT32 on that although I'm not sure that will fit your purpose.

The 98 CD might not be bootable and you may need to start with a boot floppy Boot Disk You would also use the floppy to do your format and really wouldn't need the 98 CD.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Find someone with a partition manager. Any one of them will do it. Once done you will be OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice