1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Impossible software install on Compaq!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JTERRY, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

Compaq Presario with ME os -- We have tried (6 hours on and off with tech support) with no success to install software called TRAKKER (accounting software). Everything imaginable has been done with no luck. It gets to the welcome screen and you click on next and it just freezes. I took it home and it installed fine on 2 computers, both Dell, one with Windows 98 the other my friends with ME. Do you think a reformat and recovery is in order, and if so how it accomplished, or what other options are available. All input is greatly appreciated

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

The tech help, did they have you shut down all programs except explorer and systray to make sure nothing is interfering with the install. Antivirus and some System managment software like Norton block installations.

3. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

Oh Yea! Only running explorer and systray in background, in msconfig closed everything on startup, no antivirus except mcafee installed. Cleared all temp files, ran scan disk, and defragged hard drive. This is a very frustrating problem but I'm not giving up. Oh well thanks for your help and have a great holiday.

4. rhettman5

rhettman5

Since you are already going to do something desperate(I can tell by your typing), try dumping McAfee from add remove programs and then load the program, do a back-up first if you like McAfee, then, when it (the program)loads correctly, go to AVG anti virus and get protected again : http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm (Free) . I have had Compaq computers for awhile and have had lots of trouble with McAfee ! If you don't wanna delete it, at least disable it while you d/l the program, then post back...Rhett

5. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

Thanks Rhett, tried your suggestion, but still nothing, what's our next alternative?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are installing from a CD-Rom and it is freezing, try going to the Device Manager>Properties>Settings page for the CD-Rom and uncheck DMA mode for at least one test.

7. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

Another failed attempt, I also copied contents of CD to a folder and tried installing from the hard drive with no success. NEXT!

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Also, try unchecking the auto-insert notification.........

9. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

First off, let me thank everyone responding to my thread -- Tried the unchecking of auto-insert-notification still freezing.

10. ~Candy~

Did you also uncheck the DMA as Rog suggested? And you will need to do a restart......

11. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

Yes I unchecked DMA and restarted

12. ~Candy~

Can you install other software without problems?

13. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

I installed a program called Easy Cleaner copied from a floppy to hard drive, which installed with no problem. I guess if I not been able to installed trakker on to a machine with ME on it I would then say it was a clich with the software as far as compatability. But I just wonder if it is something with this COMPAQ.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Depending on how you closed out all open programs, you might try this as well: go to start, run msconfig and clear the check for "startup" group. Restart and try the install. You can re-enable the startup group afterwards. If it works this way, you might also want to ask for a little help in examining what you have loading and running under the startup tab.

It really shouldn't be necessary on a relatively new WinME system, but you can also try unchecking DMA mode on the hard drive as well for a test.

By the way, if you ran EasyCleaner and had it remove a lot of stuff before encountering this problem, you might want to restore any backup and see if it makes a difference. EasyCleaner is a very aggressive cleaner. Personally, I don't trust it.

15. JTERRY

JTERRY Thread Starter

Been there done that as far as running msconfig and clearing the check for "startup" group. I installed Easy Cleaner but did not run it yet so I didn't do any damage with it. I feel bad about taking so much of your time with still no results. Going to have to leave it for a few hours but I will keep tring later. Thanks again guys.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice