1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

impossible to get from windows xp to 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gyogyomega, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyogyomega

gyogyomega Thread Starter

This is going to be a long post. I'll start from the beginning.

Windows 7 (64 bit premium) came to my door today. I put it in my disc, logged on to my windows xp account. A pop up came up saying, "close any programs still on xp". So i googled how to do that, and it said to wipe my fdisk. I opened the console and did so, but that it didn't know if it was an external or internal command. So i googled another way to do it, and it get compmgmt.msc as a command to enter into my start>run thingy. I do that, and i go to disk management. Then i went to format, and hit the start button (not on the bottom of the screen, the little pop up window from format). Then it tells me i need to go to safe mode. I did, and went to the command prompt safe mode. I typed in fdisk, but got the same message as before. I hit restart, and went into regular safe mode. The other places i read about said to do it in administrator. The administrator had never been there before, and had just popped up. I hit enter on the password to see if it would go, but it wouldnt. so i hit restart, but this time windows 7 started up instead. Then i got stuck and froze my computer, so i restarted again. Then this message popped up before i get to the loading screen:

windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system\hal.dll.
    please reinstall the above file.

now i've lost the windows xp disk, and many other websites have told me to just :reinstall from the disk", the one that i dont have. Do i just need to get a new hard drive? there wasnt anythign important on there, and im planning to get a terrabyte soon. The one i have right now is 200 gb

thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't start setup from Windows. And you can't format the drive from which you are running Windows, any more than you can dig a hole in the ground you are standing on. You need to boot from the DVD and then remove the partitions when you have the option. After that, just follow the prompts.

There is no "fdisk" in Windows since around 10 years ago and it shouldn't be used on modern systems. Partitioning and formatting are part of setup. There are no messages from Windows 7 setup that mention fdisk, ever.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice