1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Impossible to install NVidia drivers (or at least correctly)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TheDylPickle, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheDylPickle

TheDylPickle Thread Starter

Okay, I'm getting a bit mad about the fact that I'm not able to install my NVidia Drivers onto my laptop
    (Asus K46CM/K46CB)

Laptop contains a Geforce 740M, but doesn't work at all.

GPU was under the name of "3D Video Controller" in the "Other Devices" tab.

I realized the issue could have been because of the subsystem ID, which is 00000000
    (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FDF&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1)

This issue not only affects the fact that I'm not able to use my GPU when playing games, but it prevents me from being able to sleep/hibernate my computer.

Is there any way to fix that issue? Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

4. TheDylPickle

I attempted both the one from the NVidia website and the one from the Asus website. None worked.
    Apparently, the driver installation error was: "Could not find compatible hardware", and canceled further installation.
    The GPU does not function in any of the tasks I attempt to give it.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Uninstall the device in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows install it however it wants, reboot again and try the driver installation again.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Also what BIOS version do you have? You should be at at least at version 202.

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Those vendor and device codes are indeed associated with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphic device.

The most current driver for it at the Microsoft Update Catalog site for Windows 8/8.1 is version 21.21.13.7654 and is dated 12/29/2016.
    https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=VEN_10DE&DEV_0FDF

The most current driver for it at the NVIDIA downloads site for Windows 8/8.1 is version 21.21.13.7878 and is dated 03/09/2017.
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115889/en-us
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115890/en-us

The NVIDIA downloads site has the more current driver.

You might consider selecting the custom install option, then unchecking the components you don't need, then selecting the clean install option.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. TheDylPickle

My BIOS version is 317
    I attempted to do so multiple times with no avail. Nothing has changed

Okay, I'll attempt to do so. I have done so already with an older version, which didn't work.
    [EDIT] I have attempted to do so. It didn't even let me run into the clean install, and stopped me in the System Check where it said: The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
    I went through a tutorial on how to add the subsystem ID to the graphics driver installer, and that helped me go through the system check and I was able to get past the Options section, but the driver wasn't able to complete the installation.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. TheDylPickle

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Your BIOS version is 317? That's not a listed BIOS for the K46CB, it is however for the K46CM but that model doesn't come with a GT740 but a GT635. Did you flash the wrong BIOS onto your laptop and hence the problem?

11. TheDylPickle

I am not sure, I bought the laptop motherboard from a while back to replace the old one (it was flooded with coffee) and it came with the BIOS version 317. If it was flashed with the wrong BIOS, is there any way to fix it?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You may have order the board for the K46CM instead of the K46CB. Did the GPU come with the motherboard or did you move yours over? Flashing a BIOS from another motherboard could render you laptop dead and unrecoverable.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Try using modded drivers like these: https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/31790-geforce-37849-nvidia-mobile-oem/

You need to download the driver and modded INF, you can use the driver you have downloaded already and download the matching INF for that version. You need to put the modded INF into the folder on the C: drive that the installer extracts it too to replace the same named INF already there and then run the SETUP from that extracted folder.

Alternatively you could also try to manually force the driver from Device Manager.

14. TheDylPickle

I'll try that.

The GPU came with the motherboard.
    The board does have the specs of the K46CB but has been somehow flashed with a K46CM BIOS when it was shipped to me.
    Is there any way I could be able to change the BIOS back to the K46CB? I'm quite sure it won't brick the laptop.

15. TheDylPickle

https://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/370series/37849_win10x64/nv_dispi.inf
    What do I do with this bunch of text?
    What name do I put on it?
    Is the extension .inf?

16. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Right click and save the file instead of viewing it. It'll save as an .inf file.

I would be a lot more concerned about bricking the laptop then you seem to be, a BIOS flash for another motherboard very commonly bricks the board.

Is the GPU soldered onto the board or a removable module?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187034