Impossible to regain control of hacked Google Account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

James321

I can't access my Google account and it looks like someone has changed my details so I cannot regain control of the account.

My contact telephone number has been changed.
The device I'm using is no longer recognised even though it's the same one I've been using for years.
There is also an unusual alternate account name being used made up of random numbers and letters.

The following site What To Do If Your Google Account Is Hacked says the following, "In the case where the hacker removed alternate email ID associated with the account, it is almost impossible to regain control of the account."

Well they didn't change my email address but they changed my telephone number and that looks just as bad.

Can I ask, is it really the case that a hacker can take control of your Google Account and that you can do absolutely NOTHING about it? Attached to your Google account are so many things.

James321

The Google support guy says the following:

You will need to exit all attempted access and recovery efforts; do not access or attempt to recover the account for one FULL week, then try again. Any access to the account during this time will cause the clock to start ticking again, back to zero.

When you try again, after waiting the full seven days, try ONE TIME only. Use this page.

If you are impatient, and do not wait the full week, the error will keep repeating. Then you are just wasting your time.

This to me sounds like an extremely passive way to deal with hackers.

Thanks Google.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Strange as account recovery shouldn’t require log in as if you can log in you wouldn’t need to recover the account.
You should be asked various questions which only you know.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7299973
https://streakshot.com/technology/how-do-i-recover-my-hacked-google-account

Did you have a backup email address added to the account?
What about using 2-step authentication for security?

If you can’t do any of this due to the hack & Google cannot help you recover the account then chances are it’s gone for good.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes, I’d read that too & it seems a bit strange that you cannot do anything for a week. It may be that Google lock the account rather than allowing the hacker full access.
Hopefully after the week they’ll help you recover it. The first thing I recommend doing is setting up 2-step authentication & adding a recovery email address.

You think that's bad....try updating or changing your MS security info...ie email or phone number.....that's a 30 day waiting period.

James321

Strange as account recovery shouldn’t require log in as if you can log in you wouldn’t need to recover the account.
You should be asked various questions which only you know.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7299973
https://streakshot.com/technology/how-do-i-recover-my-hacked-google-account

Did you have a backup email address added to the account?
What about using 2-step authentication for security?

If you can’t do any of this due to the hack & Google cannot help you recover the account then chances are it’s gone for good.

After attempting to sign in this is the page I get:

Recovery.jpg

None of my phone numbers have ever ended in "23" as is quoted on the page.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
If you choose ‘I don’t have my phone’ what happens?
It may be the hacker has turned on 2-step authentication.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Have you done this but had no success?
If so then you’d have to await the week out & try again.

James321

If you choose ‘I don’t have my phone’ what happens?
It may be the hacker has turned on 2-step authentication.
Looks like I've been round this loop before, but the following text appears:

• Get your A7J16Q
  • Open the Google Settings app
  • Tap Sign-in & security
  • Tap Security code
  • Choose an account to get your code

I've never heard of the subordinate account A7J16Q, it's not one of mine.

And presumably the "Google Settings app" is on a mobile device (Android?) because I can't locate it on the Net.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
It’s an android tablet & it has the Google settings app on it.
If this isn’t your device then it’s the hacker’s.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online