Solved Impossible to regain control of hacked Google Account

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect that James321 did not have 2-Factor turned on in the first place, or had the account alert him via a Google G-Mail app on a smart phone. From what I can see and tell, whoever gained access to this account has added 2FA, which requires the password for the account to add, so I would really doubt any other normal way will work, and I don't know if Google has any other way to confirm that you are the real owner.

If you did have your phone number on the account, perhaps there is some hope, but then who knows what will google will do in this case.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
I’m reaching the same conclusion @Couriant
Had James321 turned on 2-step authentication & allowed the changes then I doubt Google would help at all.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I’m reaching the same conclusion @Couriant
Had James321 turned on 2-step authentication & allowed the changes then I doubt Google would help at all.
Yeah, some times services will use older information like a phone number, or older passwords, or recovery emails and that may be the saving grace, but unfortunately it's in Google's court at this point.

@James321 I would suggest creating another account for now in the interim, and make sure you secure it with 2FA, so that way you can send emails to your contacts to make sure that they are aware that your account was compromised.

James321

It’s an android tablet & it has the Google settings app on it.
If this isn’t your device then it’s the hacker’s.
I would have thought an established company like Google would have a far more user friendly system that this for dealing with hackers.

It just comes across that they've left the door wide open for hackers. As you said yourself earlier:

Goddess-Bastet said:
If you can’t do any of this due to the hack & Google cannot help you recover the account then chances are it’s gone for good.
This is surely a completely unacceptable situation when you consider how many other things can be accessed using your Google account, i.e. Google Adsense and Google Adwords which can contain financially sensitive information and they could even steal money from you.

James321

Is it possible we could say something about the following please?

This IS actually a serious issue and not some academic point.

This is surely a completely unacceptable situation when you consider how many other things can be accessed using your Google account, i.e. Google Adsense and Google Adwords which can contain financially sensitive information and they could even steal money from you.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Unless the sensitive information contains credit/debit card details including the 3 digit number (CCV) on the back of the card, contains log in details for banks, said cards Or other financial information I can’t see how they can steal money.
Google Adsense/Adwords afaik are used for direct ad targeting, ‘spying’ on which websites/online shops you browse & offering other sites which are similar in the hope you’ll purchase from them instead (where Google may receive revenue from the site).

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have an iPhone so I don't use google wallet but there is a sign in page. Apple Pay is only on a device; no website login.

I have a google account (via work and personal) and was able to log into it so if people use the website and has added payment information there, there is cause of concern of people sending money, which will cause headaches for sure. Pretty sure Goddess is right about the ads though. I wouldn't trust Chrome with my credit card information.

AmyToo

Amy
Is it possible we could say something about the following please?

This IS actually a serious issue and not some academic point.
If you linked a credit card or bank account information to your Google account, cancel them.

James321

Unless the sensitive information contains credit/debit card details including the 3 digit number (CCV) on the back of the card, contains log in details for banks, said cards Or other financial information I can’t see how they can steal money.
But the important point you missed is that the hacker could change your own bank details to their own and receive any advertising revenues your website is making. For some websites this could involve significant sums of money.

Goddess-Bastet said:
Google Adsense/Adwords afaik are used for direct ad targeting, ‘spying’ on which websites/online shops you browse & offering other sites which are similar in the hope you’ll purchase from them instead (where Google may receive revenue from the site).
Yes, Google Adsense/Adwords is used for direct marketing, but the "spying" on the websites you used involves the controversial use of tracking cookies.

James321

Well, some time has passed now and I still can't access my Google Account.

Surely Google must have some way of contacting them to sort problems like this out?

James321

Something isn't right here.

I did a search on the Net for "Recover Google account" and the results I got back had a lot to say about accidentally forgetting your password or changing your password, but not a lot about much else.

I have NOT forgotten my password but still cannot access my account.

I have NO notifications from Google telling me why I can't access my account.

What's the problem here?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Only Google can tell you that.
If you’ve gone through account recovery & still have no access then they should tell you why it’s been refused. This may be due to not giving enough information to confirm that you are the genuine account holder.

This is for when details have been changed but you‘ll have already tried this:
https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

James321

Only Google can tell you that.
If you’ve gone through account recovery & still have no access then they should tell you why it’s been refused. This may be due to not giving enough information to confirm that you are the genuine account holder.

This is for when details have been changed but you‘ll have already tried this:
https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery
This looks rather familiar.

I've been down this exact same road before without success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online