1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Impossibly weird and complicated situation with WAN, and have no idea where to start

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zenpuma, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenpuma

zenpuma Thread Starter

Ok, I'm not a computer guru so when I looked for similar situations in the forum archives, I did not find something that was exactly as mine. 2nd- I'm very exhausted, but I absolutely need to get this laptop connected.

My problem is that I can not connect to my wireless connection.

Note - if anyone answers, please use simple words or explain a term briefly, I'm very much a newbie to all this...

I have a toshiba laptop that comes with a little elongated "high-tech-looking" pop up thing in the bottom right corner, and if it has a couple of clickables. 1 of them is the connectivity doctor. Another is this circular icon that takes me to a bigger circle, where the connections floating around are shown. (there are more icons with more functions, the little bar is called Summit. does anyone know what I am talking about? :confused: ) Usually, I just click on the circular icon and I get to my connection, here is the confusing part. It requires a key. When I go to enter it, theres a key already saved in there (i think I saved it a while ago) but i can not remember what it is supposed to be under the *'s of the password. Confusing yet? So if I just click 'connect' under the key, it starts to connect (but fails). If I enter anything else then this text box about Ascii, bit numbers, combinations pops up. So anyways, that aside, the little computer diagram in the center of the SUMMIT circle is indeed connected to my internet connection. Now, Connectivity Doctor says that my IP address is not set properly. I've gone to http://192.168.0.1 but its not working (THIS IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM, I THINK). I'm currently connected directly to the modem with a cable, so thats how I have internet. My cable is taken out of the router (but the other side is still connected with the modem) and hooked up to my laptop. I need to fix this because my other computer (Desk top) is not working when I take the cable out of the router, since that other computer is also relying on wireless. So where to start?

Sorry, this is extremely confusing.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unplug modem and router and shut down computers.

Connect modem to router's WAN port and a computer to a LAN port of the router.

Plug in modem, plug in router, then boot computer.

Login to the router and disable encryption.

Try to connect computers via wireless.

Assuming success you can then re-enable encryption and reconnect. Use WPA-PSK if possible. If you have to use WEP use a HEX key, not an ascii passcode.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!