Improper amount of ram showing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NastyNewfy

When I look at my system properties it says I have 448 M of Ram when I should have 512M. Also When I try and run some programs my CPU is maxing out and explorer.exe is using half of it.

I have an

AMD athalon 64 3200
512 Ram
Asus MB

Do you have onboard video or a video card? If you have onboard video it appears that 64mb is being shared with the onboard video.

NastyNewfy

I do everything is onboard on my board, video, audio and LAN. Is that the problem? Does that mean that I am losing anything.

It doesn't necessarily mean you are losing anything it just means you may have a lot of programs running that are using up the available memory.

NastyNewfy

but I see this value even if there is nothing running...well other than my Norton AV and FW.

onboard video means that it uses/shares your ram for video processing, so essentially, you do have 512 megs of ram, but 64 megs of it is diverted to your onboard videocard.

NastyNewfy

I figured that but expect to see the proper amount showing in the properties.

here is the attached screen shot

Attachments

[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

The amount that shows in System properties is your total physical RAM minus the amount dedicated to your video. 512-64=448

If you are not running high-end games, you could set your video to a lower amount and recover some RAM for your system...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online