Improper Flashing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

laylak

Hi, after a recent crash of my computer i have had to re-install a lot of programs and drivers etc.

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108 and since the crash it seems I am only able to burn at 4 x. I went to the Pioneer website and downloaded the latest firmware incase it might help. I installed it and it said that it was successful. It also said improper flashing of drive may render drive inoperable. Could someone please tell me what that means! How will I know if I have improperly flashed!!!

Anyway it hasn't helped and I'm still only burning at 4 x.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? How can I tell if I have messed it up with the firmware? Thanks.

With any flashing of firmware, you soon know if it has gone wrong, as the device will no longer work and is usually uneconomic to repair.

If the drive worked properly prior to the reinstall, there is no reason to suggest that a firmware update would be needed. Normally only reflash to correct a known and published problem, particularly with motherboards as they die alarmingly often afetr a failed flash.
However that seems to have not made anything worse for you.

If you reinstalled Windows, did you also reinstall all the motherboard drivers (NOT the BIOS flash!) as the motherboard chipset drivers will control the IDE interface that the drive uses?

Failure to do so will result in default Windows drivers which may be less than optimum.

laylak

No I didn't reinstall the motherboard drivers.

I will do that now and see if it helps. Thanks

laylak

Can different CD's cause the burner to write at different speeds?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The burner can only burn as fast as the media you use with it, hence why you see the numbers on discs you buy; like 2X, 4X, 8X for DVD's and 40X, 48X, 52X for CD's.

And some brands just don't work properly with some drives.

You must also install the chipset drivers and verify the drive is running in DMA mode and not PIO.

Here's how to check to see if its DMA and how to change it: http://www.blackmaxpc.com/Guides/Enable_DMA.htm

some burners need either + or _ media to burn at full speed like mine will burn + at 4x and - at 8x.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since the drive is still working, I'd suspect that the firmware load worked. Usually, when you have a bad flash on a DVD, it creates an attractive doorstop. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online