1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Improper Reporting of Disk Space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Elanor, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Last night, I tweaked my computer a lot because I was trying to solve DLL problems. While that didn't work, I must have done something that fixed a glitch somewhere, because my free space jumped from 8 GB to more than 9GB. This morning, it was still the same. However, when I checked up on it just now, it's back to 8 GB. I haven't downloaded any large files and in fact I've just deleted some things. Any ideas on what might be wrong and how I can fix it? Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You have just deleted some things ... But have you emptied the recycle bin?
    The diskspace is not available until you do.

What are the settings for Virtual Memory? (Paging File)

Thats a large chunk of disk space Windows uses to act as extra memory, and it dynamically re-sizes the file as required, unless manually specified filesizes are used.
    Depending what the settings were at the time(s) you checked would also modify the HDD space reported.

3. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Not sure where I can check for Virtual Memory, so I can't answer the second question, but yes, I had emptied the Recycle Bin at the time.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Virtual Memory can be checked (for the settings) in Control Panel - System - Advanced - Performance - Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory - Change.

Unless you understand what you are wanting to do, and what the effect will be, its best to let Windows manage this dynamically.
    You could seriously upset the stability of the system if you change the settings unwisely.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice