Improve bootup speed in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ashras99

This is startup list in Windows XP. Please tell me which entry i can remove so my system Will boot fast and there will be no effect on my system. In my system Norton Antivirus 2004 is installed. Please see the log file of Hijackthis....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 3:40:58 PM, on 4/9/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
E:\Diskeeper8\DkService.exe
E:\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
D:\Program Files\Promise Technology, Inc\Promise Array Management\MsgAgt.exe
D:\Program Files\Promise Technology, Inc\Promise Array Management\MsgSvr.exe
E:\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
E:\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
D:\Documents and Settings\Ashish\Desktop\backup-hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - E:\SnagIt 6\SnagItBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - E:\Adobe\Acrobat\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - E:\FlashGet\Jccatch.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - E:\Adobe\Acrobat\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B930BA63-9E5A-11D3-A288-0000E80E2EDE} - E:\Mass Downloader\MDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - E:\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - E:\Adobe\Acrobat\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - E:\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - E:\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - E:\SnagIt 6\SnagItIEAddin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ptipbmf] rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVCLOCK] rundll32 nvclock.dll,fnNvclock
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &All using Mass Downloader - E:\Mass Downloader\Add_All.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - E:\FLASHGET\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using &Mass Downloader - E:\Mass Downloader\Add_Url.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - E:\FLASHGET\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Selected URL - E:\Google\openselectedurl.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search &Google - E:\Google\google.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Sothink SWF Catcher - D:\Program Files\SourceTec\Sothink SWF

Quicker\InternetExplorer.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Mass Downloader (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Mass Downloader (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: SWF Catcher (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sothink SWF Catcher (HKLM)

Attachments

Don't know about HijackThis,someone else will help with that,but

You can disable startup items that you don't need to start on bootup.Having too much stuff in there can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

ashras99

According to me the list i shown above all of them are required. Ok, i will check your link.

Personally, i would disable the diskeeper service (im guessing you are using the defrag in background option, or while idle). I run diskeeper whenever I have to....or just once a week.

Also, if you really want to speed up bootup time, get rid of norton and use AVG. Norton is a pretty big resource hog, and takes a while to start up. Not to mention AVG is free and takes up very little resources compared to norton

www.grisoft.com

Hope that helps

Some people like to place programs in startup just for conenience and some programs install themselves into startup but,strictly speaking,you don't really need to have anything in there.As I said before,The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Personally,I don't think it is so hard to start programs from the start menu when I need them and close them when I am done with them.The benefit to keeping your startup as light as possible is faster startup.

Boo Compaq is right,"Norton is a pretty big resource hog".Personally I use AVG 7 Antivirus and ZoneAlarm pro firewall,both of which have a free version that you can get from here for AVG:http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
and for ZoneAlarm:
http: //www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Ultimately,how you run your computer is up to you,the above is just my opinion,but I think you will find that most people try to keep their startup as light as possible.

ashras99,
If you look in your 'hijack' log, under 'running processes' you will see Diskeeper listed. To stop this you need to go into the MMC. Right click 'My Computer', select 'Manage'. In the 'tree view' go to Services and Applications, then to Services. Double click the Diskeeper service. There you can 'Stop' the service, then set 'Startup type' to manual. This will prevent Diskeeper from running in the background. You can run Diskeeper manually when necessary. On my machine after I run Diskeeper (manually) I have to go and stop the service again. If you prefer to let Diskeeper run automatically it really isn't much of a resource hog. If you use Diskeeper for all your defragging, go back into services and Stop you 'Speed Disk' service. That is for Norton Speed Disk and you don't need both. Stop the service and set the start up type to manual or disabled. Hope this answered your question.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online