1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Improve connection speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Steve89, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve89

Steve89 Thread Starter

Hi

I have ADSL with modem Netgear DG834 with firmware V3.01.25, but the down speed is only 7100kbps and up 780kbps. What I want to know is does upgrading the firmware of the modem woudl help improve speed? If not, what are other ways to improve the speed?

Thanks
    Steve

2. warrior19

warrior19

7100 Kbps is just under 7 Mbits Download. 1024 Kilobits = 1 Megabit

If you are on 8 Mbits ADSL from your internet provider then that is pretty close to top speed. Your upload is also fast for an ADSL line?

Unless you have not told us something.....like the service you pay for is 20 Mbytes ADSL?

3. Steve89

Steve89 Thread Starter

Hi Warrior19,

My service is suppose to be 20Mbps, but i am only getting 7.1Mbps so I figured that may be my distance from the telephone exchange which is 2.4km away.

Steve

4. warrior19

warrior19

Umm right thanks!!! The Netgear DG834 modem/router you have does support for ADSL 2+ which is the ADSL standard for speeds upto 24 Mbps. http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adslmax2_info.php

As you say distance from the exchange can make a difference but your router might be setup/configured for just ADSL and not ADSL 2+?

Are you in the UK with Be Broadband or Talk Talk or Virgin?

Did the router come from the Internet Provider as they may be able to advise you of settings and perform a line test to confirm or deny your suspicions re the houses distance from the exchange. BT here.

5. Steve89

Steve89 Thread Starter

My modem is not from the ISP, I bought it myself. I am aware that DG834 is ADSL2+ capable when I bought it. How do i check if my modem is setup for ADSL2+ ??

Many thanks.

Steve

6. warrior19

warrior19

7. warrior19

warrior19

'Annex M' also important

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice