1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Improve performance with more RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grandpaw7, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I have 64 RAM, of which 56RAM is available for the internet (as I understand it.) (I have 6.4GB hard drive of which about 4.8GB is free space. While I spend some time on the computer every day, either putting documents in Works 6.0, reading and writing emails, and looking at some favorite websites, and doing some research online, I expect I am still a light user. I'm not having any problems with my computer or doing my "thing" on it, though sometimes it downloads quite slowly. The PC pitstop site, which has received so much attention on the Tips forum, tells me that if I increase RAM to 128 or 256, I will experience immediately improved performance. Even though I am not really experiencing problems, still I am interested in the prospect of improved performance, particularly faster downloads. (I could always use more time to waste.)

I am wondering if I light user like me will experience that improvement or maybe it's something that will only happen to a heavier user.

grandpaw

2. angel

angel

With 128, I think you'd notice some improvement when running multiple apps and opening/closing apps but I don't think you will see any increase in download speeds.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

I agree with Angel.
    I upgraded from from 96 to 192m and did see noticeable increase in Operating/App speed.It did not do much if anything for download speed.
    What seemed to help in that area was going from an internal winmodem to an external modem.
    Connect speed increased about 20% and download speed did increase but not by the same factor.

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

grandpaw7: angel and pedroguy are right. If you have the slots available, grab a stick of 64 & a stick of 128( especially while memory is so cheap) and pop them in! This will increase your overall performance in multi-tasking, opening & closing apps etc. However this will not increase your internet connection speedwise for downloading or uploading. Switching to an external modem(hardware modem) from an internal(software modem) usually will help with connection and throughput speeds. I use Diamond Supra externals(2730) because I have really rotten phone lines with switches, noise and who knows what else( only Qwest knows for sure) that inhibit my throughput really bad. Using the external modem and tweaking where possible, I only hook up at 26,400(actual throughput usually checks out at about 24,000) but have gotten my ping levels from700-800 down to around 200-300 on the average. With internal modem(maybe 24,000, throughput 17,000-18,000 with 500-600 pings). You can also tweak your memory settings instead of letting windows do it for you. Go for it!

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks to Angel, Pedroguy, and StillLearning for your input. I reckon I'll get more RAM memory for multitasking (though I do very little of this) and more patience for downloading. grandpaw

6. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey grandpaw7,

When I upgraded from 192 to 320, I noticed a great improvement on the speed of the pictures coming up while surfing the internet. That alone is worth the price of an upgrade in memory. Plus now it's cheaper than ever, I wish I had more slots open!

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

You pushed me over the edge, anglin_fool. I was still vascillating about getting more RAM till I got your post. Now, I'll get it Monday. I had been wondering if I really deserved more RAM; then, I saw a L'Oreal ad telling me I deserved it Of course, the ad was talking about face cream and not RAM, but what the heck. grandpaw

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice