1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

improving a wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hannaframmis, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hannaframmis

hannaframmis Thread Starter

hey all...just moved into a new house and discovered i can pick up a free wireless connection from a local hotel about 1/2 mile away. however, signal strength is a bit low - is there anything i can do to improve my reception of an incoming outside wireless signal, without having any ability to improve the source?

thanks!

2. blin

blin

this may give you som etips. quoted from http://www.howtonetworking.com/wireless.htm.

Tips for Best Performance
    1. Put your Wireless Router at the center of the area that you want to cover.
    2. Don't setup wireless devices directly under a Wireless Router.
    3. Setup Wireless Router's antenna(s) vertically.
    4. Point wireless adapter's antenna toward the Wireless Router.
    5. Keep antenna(s) away from radio/TV antenna(s), Wireless phone, microwave and metal fixtures.
    6. Place routers and access points high, and as clear of obstructions as practical.
    7. If there are more than one wireless routers in the same location, keep the channels out as much as possible

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Directional antenna.

4. hannaframmis

thanks for the replies. so, let me make sure i understand this correctly:
    if i were to install some kind of directional antenna on my roof, this would help me capture a stronger signal. the antenna would have to be connected to a wireless router, which would relay the improved signal to my laptop?

thanks again for the input! (y)

5. JohnWill

A directional antenna needs to be connected to whatever wireless device is accessing the remote signal.

6. hannaframmis

not to be dense, but via a wireless router, correct? i mean, you can't connect an antenna directly to a laptop, can you?

7. JohnWill

Depends on the laptop 802.11b adapter you use. For instance, there are many USB 802.11b adapters that will allow an external antenna. You probably don't want to use a router, since they only function in gateway mode, and most likely won't connect with the signal in question.

8. hannaframmis

so, there's no way to boost the incoming signal, but keep my laptop wireless?

9. JohnWill

Well, you can go over to the hotel and see if they'll add a directional antenna pointing your way... :D

You could spend some money, buy a WAP and a directional antenna, then connect another WAP or router to forward the signal to wireless devices.

Of course, since this really constitutes theft of service, I suspect the forum managers would really frown on this whole conversation...

10. doggard

doggard

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Closing thread. Find a service provider and pay for your connection.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice