1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

imstalation problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by inport0, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inport0

inport0 Thread Starter

ok ill try and explain this the best i can. my pc has windows media center 2002 installed. i went out and bought a copy of windows media center 2005 to install. my 10 yr ols son thought he would help and install the new program for me. what he did was run a copy of windows xp professional upgrade cd. and when i run the new windows 2005 it reverts back to installing the xp pro upgrade. i went to the microsft website and tryed there ideas. commands in safe mode and i get the message it cant uninstall due to registration infomation missing. and i dont have a full copyh of windows xp pro. what can i do to get rid of the upgrade. thanks

2. bp936

bp936

Do you have the original Windows media center 2002 disks? You could re-install that first, then upgrade to the correct version you want. You should have the original Product key on the disk.
    Did you loose any private files? \if you have any left, copy them to a USB key or DVD, otherwise if everything is already wiped out, start from scratch.

I think 10 year old is a bit too young, it is always better to watch what the computer is asking during installs and decide, he might have just walked away and some information might be missing because of it.

3. inport0

inport0 Thread Starter

i dont have the 2002 discs anymore thats why i was upgrading the only thing i have is the product key in a book i keep. the xp pro cd is one i had on the shelf from yrs ago. how my son got that i will never know.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    what brand of computer is this? i was going to say if its a dell and u have a dell branded copy of windows xp pro u can just make it xp pro with no problems.windows media center is a 2 disk set. one has the xp operating system on it the other one has the additional programs on it for it to run correctly. media center is just basically a fancy version of windows xp pro.if your son used the xp pro cd thats why u are having problems.u will either have to get a proper copy of windows xp media center with 2 disks or u can use your windows xp pro cd provided that it has a valid COA sticker with it thats never been used in any other computer. i wouldnt let your son install it tho.hopefully u have a friend who can do this for u.i hope this helps u.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice