In-car USB port MP3 problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AlbertB

Hi Guys,

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and were able to get away from the pressures of answering queries such as this one for a while.

I have just fitted a new H&B CA-5555 car audio unit in my banger, (not expensive/quality but should do me with my listening tastes). The installation has been successful in every way except one. I can't get the USB port which this unit has to play MP3 files from either a dedicated USB MP3 unit or a USB memory stick holding MP3 files. (It should do this of course).

It does recognise the device which I have plugged in showing USB-DRIV in the display, and it then reports correctly the Album, Artist and Title of an MP3 track which is there, so it must be lifting data from the unit. It has also correctly reported the number of the track and a time of 0:00 which does not change. This time shows elapsed time for each track when in normal use, not time remaining.

It is possible to see the memory stick being accessed with its LED flashing, but the information displayed on the screen simply cycles round and round through Album, Artist, Title, before eventually giving up and defaulting back to the radio. Very occasionally a second or 2 of audio from the file being accessed gets through but normally there is only a quiet background hiss for a few seconds appearing and disappearing.

The USB device has been formatted to FAT12/16 structure as recommended, and the files have been saved in MP3 format, (not MP3Pro). Again as recommended settings of 128kbps fixed rate, 44.1kHz sampling rate, .mp3 file extension have been used via Nero software. I have tried playing files saved in both a simple folder structure and in the root directory with no folders present with the same result.

There is also an SD/MMC card slot which does play correctly. It plays successfully exact copies of the same files which will not play via the USB port.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what could be wrong here. or whjat needs to be changed to permit the USB port to be accessed correctly.

Many thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's quite possible that the unit is defective. It appears that you have followed all the instructions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online