1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

in colour, B & W prints like Sepia

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Brian Holmes, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brian Holmes

Brian Holmes Thread Starter

When I try to print colour photos I cannot print Black (or shades of gray) they come out as brown or shades of brown. This is a recent occurence, the printer used to work fine. Black prints normally in text. I am using an HP all in one printer with HP cartridges from an HP laptop with Vista home. I have cleaned & realigned heads, deleted & reinstalled software but still the same problem. I have had countless emails with HP but I think the replies come from a machine as they are usually the same stuff informing me how happy they are to help.
    Any advice please?

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Color printers may attempt to print a combination of colors in an attempt to approximate black. It is called composite black. If you really want a black and while (no color at all) then set up your printer's preferences to not use color. It is a setting on your printer's property page.

What I do is set up two different printer devices to the same color printer. One is the normal printer setup, the other I have set it up for B&W printing. Then, whenever I go to print, and if I need color, I use the regular printer setup; and if I just need B&W I use the other.

3. Brian Holmes

Thanks but B & W on its own is no problem. It is when there are black sections in a colour photo they print brown

4. hewee

hewee

Look at this thread Monitor-Printer Colour Calibration and the #3 post there and the link to Colour Managemant and watch the tutorial videos. Was some great info on how to make the setting on the printer and in PhotoShop so it prints out the way you want and not the way the printer wants to that can change you color on you.

5. thing

thing

Sounds like a blocked nozzle (but I guess you've already been there). When you print a nozzle check pattern all of the colours are there, no gaps?

6. Brian Holmes

A fascinating site, most interesting it was difficult to get the icc codes but I managed it. nfortunately the printing problem did not go.
    In microsoft paint hard colours print fine, in a text doc the same, but in a photo all shades of black print brown.

7. Brian Holmes

Tried installing all new HP cartidges, reinstalled software, cleaned & realigned heads, all tests print fine but not photos....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8. thing

thing

OK .....but have you printed a nozzle check pattern? If so, are all the inks showing clean results?
    You must remember that when you print a colour image the shadow end may not be made up of black ink only. Most likely it would be a 4 colour black (CMYK) plus maybe light magenta & light cyan. For your shadow end to function properly all of the inks must be running at full density. Your problem from what you have described is a shadow end problem....this is why I'm asking you these questions.

I run pro printers at work (Epson Pro 9500 & 9880) plus others, and a couple of 6 x colour printers at home.

You need to isolate the problem in order to address it, so I am giving you some options. You can ignore them or have a go. It's up to you.

In order to help you I need some answers.

9. Brian Holmes

Thanks "thing",
    I can't find a facility called nozzle check pattern but I believe it is the same as print quality pattern. HP say when do the extended Self Test diagnostic the test pattern should show 6 color bars without streaks or missing bars- this is the case, the bars are clear solid colors.

10. PopPicker

PopPicker

I don't know the HP printer driver, but on my Epson 9600 there is a "Colour Management" check box which I leave unchecked. With it on I get all sorts of weird and unwanted effects.

11. Brian Holmes

Thanks PopPicker, I can only find a colour management tab on the HP which offers loads of options from the defult, but not one to simply, not use colour managent.

12. thing

thing

Hmmm, interesting but disturbing at the same time. Are you printing your images out of the printer software or other software? The problem you are having sound like what happens to my images if I print them and put them up on my fridge, after time exposed to UV all the shadows turn to red/brown rather than black. Your images are coming straight off you printer like this?

13. Brian Holmes

Hello thing, It doesn't seem to matter whether I print from Adobe Photoshop, other software or indeed from my 2nd computer the result is the same. I have just tried printing from the card slot on the printer and the result is much better, printing a print test page from the net, the grayscale grading goes from almost black through brown then alters to shades of duck egg blue before achieving white

14. thing

thing

Hi Brian,
    I'm seriously running out of options. It's a strange problem, like I said it's as if you've exposed the print to UV for some time.

So you get a different result if you place your card in the printer and print, to when you download the same image off your card onto your hard drive and then print it?

15. Brian Holmes

Hi thing, Yes that's exactly the situation. Weird eh? Could it have anything to do with the spooling? Although the prints from the card slot are still poor colours.
    regards ,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!