1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

in danger of smashing my laptop as it cannot communicate with Primary DNS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sheshebob, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sheshebob

sheshebob Thread Starter

if anyone could help, it would be truely great. but in all fairness i have tried everything these forums have to say regarding my problem.

ive had my toshiba laptop for a while, on windows vista and never had this problem before. im currently living in a student house, where the 3 other housemates are connected to our Virgin wireless router, but i cant!! right now, the only way i can connect to the internet is with an ethernet cable, which limits me to the kitchen and is driving me insane!!!!

my computer connects to my virgin wireless routher, but the icon in the corner in the bottom task bar, just is off the two computers, it does not have the little 'world' sign there (unless of course i use the ethernet cable).

i know its not a problem with virgin, as the other housemates can use it. and my wireless on my computer is definitely on.

it connects to the internet, but still says theres a problem which it cant repair, - 'cannot communicate with primary DNS server.

ive tried everything, someone tell me something different which will resolve this issue, im going out my mind!!

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

From a JohnWill post.
    Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Microsoft MVP - User Desktop Experience

3. sheshebob

sheshebob Thread Starter

will giving this information put me in danger of people hacking my computer?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only from the other people on your LAN; but they can get the needed information other ways anyhow. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice