1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

in deep trouble

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by meetenshah, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meetenshah

meetenshah Thread Starter

hi,
    i am new to linux and
    i faced some problems,
    i installed the rh9 and it was with 3 partitions in etx2
    then with the rest of the space(total 80 gb)
    i tried to make 3 fat32 partitions for dual booting with win xp
    but it gives me a message that there is not enough space to create a partition while i am left free with 60 gb
    so then i deleted all the partition, and tried to boot with out a boot disk but instead of not booting at all it is booting to grub while no partitions exists.

how do i solve this and after i solve it how do i make winxp and rh9 dual boot from scratch????
    please help..............

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Ibelive that the way you do it is install win first, then use somthing like fips to free up the room for linux, then install linux, and install a system selector. NOt sure, but thats the way i've heard of it being done

btw, the reason windows goes first, is ecause if it goes second it screws the boot system (overwrites lilo or grub)

3. codejockey

codejockey

I second Whiteskin's advice. You should install Windoze (whatever version) first, and make sure that it is working properly before installing Linux. Plan ahead; think about how many Windoze partitions you want and their sizes; you can then assign the remainder of the disk to Linux. Once Windoze is working properly and you have verified that you can access all of your partitions, you can install Linux. Most distributions (RedHat included) will recognize your Windoze installation and install somewhere else. RedHat also includes logic to setup a dual-boot system for you, so you won't have to worry about the details.

Hope this helps.

4. lynch

lynch

On the rare occasion when I do install w2k or xp,I start with a clean hard drive.
    Then when the windows installation reaches the partitioning/formatting step I make a partition of 3-4 GB and format as NTFS.As you are using Redhat(which provides no support for NTFS)you can format as fat32.Once xp is up and running,you can use it's disk management utility to create the other fat32 partitions you need.
    As codejockey said, after you get xp working properly,you can proceed with the Linux installation.Be sure to use the ext3 or Reiser filesystem as they are much nicer than ext2.
    HTH
    lynch

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

The probelm is that windows WILL NOT play nice with other operating systems. it has to be first (sounds like some children i know). After that you can use a boot manager to control what boots (most systems come with one)

6. meetenshah

hey guyys thanx for ur advices it worked i used fdisk /mbr to over write the mbr and installed windows xp and then linux but still i couldnt install more then four partitions, but thats ok i guess

onces again thanx

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Thats cause its not possile because of the bios to have more than 4 primary partitions. You need to use extentded partitions.

8. meetenshah

thats what i did, i created a 20gig primary and 50gig extended with a 50 gig logical drive, but still when i run linux setup it does not install all 3 necessary partioins ("/", "/usr", "swap") so i went into manual partitioning and removed the swap partition

9. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Swap is nice to have, even if you only set aside like 700Mb, it just gives that extra OOMPH especially under the huge DEs like KDE and Gnome

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice