1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In Desperate Need Of **VERY** Recent Satellite Imagery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcnewby, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcnewby

pcnewby Thread Starter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello,

this might be WAY off the beaten path for this forum, but i'm really hoping someone can help.

i have a good friend who spends a great deal of time doing humanitarian work in the interior of nicaragua. he just returned back from a 3-week stint yesterday morning. he got a call later that day telling him that he needs to return right away because of the hurricane that just blew through there, leaving no less than 2 feet of water in most of the small villages.

he has been asked to bring thousands of feet of plastic sheeting (among other things), so they can build temporary shelters for the thousands of people who have become displaced by this latest tragedy. the problem is, in order to construct temporary shelters with plastic, there must first be SOME structures still standing, to tie the plastic to. the word is that the whole area has been completely dessimated, there is very little detail coming out of the area, and they have NO way of knowing WHICH villages need the most help.

normally it's a 36-hour journey by car from the nearest airport to the deep interior of the country (where he works, and where most of the "major" humanitarian agencies ignore - in other words, where the need is greatest) so to be able to know ahead of time where they need to go first, rather than just blindly going from village to village, would likely save many lives.

since these areas have no electricity, plumbing, running water or telephones, he feels that the best way for them to tell who needs help the most is to view the entire area with satellite imagery. but as i explained to him, the vast majority of the satellite imagery available to the public is NOT very current, and is certainly not current to within a couple of days.

NEVERTHELESS i told him that i would put the word out to a couple of forums on the off chance that anyone knows where this guy could get a hold of very, very recent satelite imagery of that area. he is willing to pay whatever it costs, as long as it's current.

please let me know if you can help. the need is great and very immediate.

-newreel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/620152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice