1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In dire Straits!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by knownuthin11, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knownuthin11

knownuthin11 Thread Starter

Win 98 OS
    Dell Pentium II 64MB RAM
    10.X Gig HD
    model # DHS 400 (I think) The system is about 5 yrs old

I bought a 128MB RAM card, the dealer assured me that it was compatible. My system needs a pc100 DIMM Card (ECC) and I got a pc133 DIMM Card (ECC). I installed the card and all I got was a blank screen. When I took the card out and set the original 32MB cards back where they were, leaving out the 128, I can only get as far as the details. If I let it go the computer shows: a 16.0MB SDRAM in the upper left corner, then the dell emblem screen, then a spec screen, ending in a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner of an otherwise blank screen.

Obviously this is not my puter, I am at school in one of the labs. The Tech guy at the store where I purchased the card said I need A new Hard drive because the old one is corrupted.

The third guy at dell said it was program specific and when he tried to use a boot disk he said my boot disk was missing MSDOS.SYS so I got a boot disk from school but it's from win98 2nd ed. and she said it probably would'nt work.

I know nuthin so i probably have not answered the pertinent questions but please help me I need to get windows back at least long enough to pull my schoolwork off of it.

2. mobo

mobo

Does the pc boot up and is it functional on the 64 ram ?

3. mobo

mobo

will also have to know the make and model of the motherboard. you can download Aida 32 and under the motherboard section it should give this info so we can see if infact the board does take that size module..

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

You need to access the bios setup, save changes coming out, then see if it'll restart.

mb, I'm assuming he can't even get to the desktop ;)

5. knownuthin11

Yes the PC Boots up, i hear it check the A drive then it beeps but right before it used to make alot of shuffling noises it stops.
    In the setup screen it says it reads the 2 32MB cards and the third slot says "nott Installed"

6. ~Candy~

Also, did you put the two ram chips back where they were? Some boards need slot 1 filled.

7. ~Candy~

Ok, save changes, then reboot.

8. knownuthin11

The people at Dell had me enter set up then restore system defaults and try to reboot but I still just get the same blinking cursor

9. knownuthin11

I put the cards back in their orig. slots, and when that did'nt work I went thru every combination/permutation there was, all th same

10. ~Candy~

Look around to see if anything got bumped loose on the motherboard....any add in cards, etc.

11. knownuthin11

As far as the Module, (If you mean the card that I bought) I went back today and they told me that it was the wrong one and it wouldnt work (believe that?)

12. knownuthin11

I rechecked all of the connections even the ones far from where I was worrking and alll seemed right

13. knownuthin11

Please dont say my only option is to start over, my entire school career is on that machine. (guess thats why you should back it up)

14. mobo

mobo

Reenter the bios and set the a drive as first boot device and try rebooting with the 98 boot disk you have there. If you get to a command prompt type sys c: and reboot when complete without the boot disk in the drive.

15. ~Candy~

You may need to clear the cmos then, is there a jumper on the board? Or perhaps pull the battery out for a bit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice