1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In-Home Cat 5 Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ClearHorizOn, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ClearHorizOn

ClearHorizOn Thread Starter

Hello! I recently moved into a home built in 2007 and it has CAT5/CAT6 ports in 3-4 different rooms. I am very unfamiliar with how these networks work but thought it would be fairly simple to get the network live with internet. I have comcast and simply plugged an ethernet cable from a port in the back of my modem to a cat 5 jack in my home expecting the rest of the cat 5 ports in my home to then have internet access... this was not the case. I have taken a picture of the HUB of sorts from the panel in my utility closet to see if it will shed any light on the subject... Thanks in advance for your help and please let me know if I need to clarify anything further!

Attached Files:

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I think You need to locate a switch.

It's like a router but may have 8-24 ports.

You would need to provide the signal from the modem to that switch, which then would power your ports.

3. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Can you provide any pics of any other equipment in that "closet"?

4. ClearHorizOn

What is the board that the wires are going to then?

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure.

There's several network genuises here too so don't worry.

ClearHorizOn likes this.
  6. ClearHorizOn

Here is a picture of the entire 'can' in the closet

Attached Files:

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    That looks just like a phone board for digital phone service.

Are you SURE the plugs all around the house are RJ-45? And NOT landline phone jacks?

I don't see a modem or anything there either, where is that located?

8. ClearHorizOn

All of the wall jacks have both phone and Cat5 wiring... and the modem is in a separate room. The casing of the wires say either cat 5 or cat 6 as well...

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    In the room with the modem can you post a few pics of that?

And any outlets or jacks near it

10. ClearHorizOn

Here is what the Comcast modem/router setup looks like... in one of the pics you can see the white coax cable that runs directly into the modem. What I had tried before was running a normal Ethernet cable from the back and into the "Cat5e" slot in this outlet pictured here.

Attached Files:

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok sry but Im trying to gather info...

Back where the cabinet was can you post a few pics with a broader view

12. ClearHorizOn

Yup, there isn't much else to look at... but here they are :) thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Who installed the modem and internet?

Was it working before?

Or is this like a new home new install of service?

14. ClearHorizOn

I installed it... i simply grabbed the modem from the comcast store and brought it home, then plugged the modem into one of the coax jacks in the house. That is all that I have done since I moved in.

15. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    We're probably going to have to have one of the networking "gurus" to help figure this one out.

One thing that's weird to me is I'm thinking that that's a phone box downstairs. See cat5 wiring is basically the same type of pairing as phone lines.

The problem is I'm thinking the Ethernet jacks are INSTALLED but not physically hooked up yet as they should be.

See I used to work for Time Warner cable, and we had a house just like this I think, but the modem had to be DOWNSTAIRS near those cables so it could feed internet to them.

The problem I see right off the bat is no router or switch. See in order for all those jacks in the house to have an internet signal, there HAS to be a beginning point.

You would HAVE to have the Ethernet from the back of the modem into a switch to feed all the Ethernet ports with internet service. I see no evidence of a switch anywhere, which leads me to believe somethings missing possibly??

However don't get TOO upset/concerned cause I'm far from a networking "guru" but I do know enough to get me by.

My best bet is wait and let one of them chine in here. I would see if either TerryNet or zx10guy pops in here. They are our resident network "gurus"

I'm sorry I couldn't help much. I hope I didn't send you down a wrong path either. But that's my best advice. Give it about 12 hours or so and check back I'm sure one of em will be on by then.

Best of luck to you,
    Drew

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice