1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In Less Than Two Years, a Smartphone Could Be Your Only Computer

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by ekim68, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekim68

ekim68 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    More

2. hewee

hewee

Not for me.

3. kobaltx

kobaltx

Smart phones use apps. Still need computers to make them.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Either of you read the article?

;)

5. hewee

hewee

Yes I did read it. I thinks on my desktop I would not trust on anything I lose control of. With WiFi etc and made apps you just can not lock things down like you can with a desktop or laptop.
    I never like chat or sharing programs and that is what a Smartphone is made to do.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Thing is, hewee, they are evolving, and rapidly. I spend about 95% of my non-work comp time on a tablet. This may be the best tech purchase Ive made; books, movies all play fine, Im obviously online, it cost me $40 and it fits in my back pocket.

7. hewee

hewee

$40 total or a month? What is it you got?

8. valis

valis Moderator

no, $40 total. BestBuy had a huge sale around the first of December, got a Lenovo 5500f tablet. It doesn't come with 3g, but does with wifi, and I already had a mobile hotspot for work. Works great for me.

9. hewee

hewee

Wow that is a great deal.

I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for over 3 times that cost and it's a 7" screen. Going to take it back to Costco. I would keep it for music and video but the sound just does not sound good.
    Plus don't like that it's hooked up to my Gmail account.

Like to get something I can make safer like my computer and be able to use same programs so not means a laptop unless a tablet is the same. I like to get a Convertible Laptop type that has Windows OS. Then I can install things on it just like on this computer.
    I like my hosts file and my control on not seeing ads and knowing what goes out and what comes into the computer and I don't have that with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and I just don't that. Do not have a cell phone either. If I can get a free one that really is just a phone or more just basic with camera that is all I need. I would get more use by having the camera then the phone.

But I did find out I did not have the WiFi right here at home. Got the newer Comcast modem that has the WiFi but you also have the share WiFi and I still need to find out how to turn it off. But I was using the share WiFi but now got account on the Galaxy to use my Comcast account so get a whole lot faster speed. I just got 48 Mbps download on WiFi so that is great. But speeds jump around a lot because I just got 29 Mpbs.
    I used http://speedspot.org/ for the test. It finds hot spot too

10. valis

valis Moderator

If you use costco a bunch, may have to switch to cash. Pretty sure they are killing off the AMEX ability there.

Yeah, I got lucky and got a smoking deal on it. Outside of my phone, this is easily the most used tech purchase I've made in the past 5 years. Watch movies, read books, access the web......

11. kobaltx

kobaltx

Hi Valis . All you seem to do with your tablet is social media. Tell me the real computing you can do with your tablet. That would interest me.

12. kobaltx

kobaltx

Nearly forgot, you are aware that ALL smart devices can and should be classed as spyware.Think about it smart devices are 2 way carriers of information. Computers are reasonably secure for now.

13. valis

valis Moderator

I use it as a tablet. For computing I use my laptop.

What else would I use it for? :confused:

14. valis

valis Moderator

Dont really agree with that one. Any internet device can be compromised; classing hardware as spyware to me just seems silly.

That said, I do work IT, and know enough not to access my bank account from my cell. Thats just common sense IMHO.

15. kobaltx

kobaltx

Hi Again I,m not talking about the obvious bank accounts etc. Samsung admits to spying via their smart devices. Read their small print it is all there. Gmail scans e-mails and searches and targets accordingly. Google, every time you switch on wants to update all its apps.What it is doing is collating information on you. They already know where you live. Believe me the two years you are talking about Big Brother will truly have arrived if not here now. It will all be done in the name of national security. Look at what your government wants regarding the internet. Still silly?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice