In need of advice?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dagman

Hi as you can see i'm new to this but I have a problem which I can't solve, Basically I've got a second computer and I can log onto the net through a Isp but I can't open a browser window to goto a website any Ideas. I am running Win 98 and using Bt internet package and internet explorer. Please help as I am desperate.:confused:

Dagman

Hi, The version is I.E. 5 that I am running.The computer I am having the problem with came from a office which had a network, I don't know if that would make any diference?
I did reinstal I.E. 5 and reloaded Win98.
Look forward to your views!

from IE go into the tolls menu and select internet options... then the connections tab.

You may be setup to connect ot the 'net through a LAN. That is common for office computers on a network.

Just run the connection wizard and set it up for your home connection.

HTH

Hi guys, I also have IE 5.0 and was wondering wht would be a safe version to upgrade to. I've already downloaded I.E. 6 but after reading several post here at the tech guy I'm not sure if I want to install it.
Hey Dagman sorry for jumping in your post, but I've been meaning to ask this all week. Thought this was a good opportunity.

Del

I've used IE 5.5 for a long time and it worked great. I updated to IE 6 with Windows 2000 Pro and Win ME. Both working fine.
Windows XP comes with IE 6 installed and seems to work great also. I would go with IE 5.5 if you are leary of IE 6.
You might also consider which version your ISP supports. If you ever need help with it, they may not support the newest version yet.
Del

Sounds like a network issue. Go to Network in control panel, you should ONLY have client for ms-networks, dial up adapter, and tcp/ip. REMOVE everything else. Then reboot and try again.

Dagman

Hi Phrozenmayhem,
Many thanks your solution worked a treat

:D Regards Dagman.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online