1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In need of basic fonts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WarmCurb, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

I forgot to backup my Font folder so when I reformatted Windows all sites were rendered with an unpleasant font. How can I get those basic fonts back?

2. dez_666

dez_666

you should have the whole font set that usually comes with windows like

Arial, Times New Roman, Garamond, Fixedsys

etc. you saying you dont have the like 40 fonts you get with windows?

3. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

site 1 / site 2

The above are two frequented sites. The body of each has been rendered to look like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The body's font has been scrunched together whereas it used to be a clean, readable Arial-esque font. Is there a way you can see the site's preferred font from the source code? If so, I couldn't find it.

4. kev1952

kev1952

I am inclined to think that you haven't enabled "Clear Type" in the display properties. Click on the "Appearance" tab and then click on "Effects". Place a checkmark in the second box from the top and select "Clear Type" in the drop down menu. Okay your way out and test.

You also need to keep in mind that what you see on your(?) website is not necessarily what others will see. A lot depends on the surfer's personal settings and the browser they are using.

As for fonts do a Google search for "fonts download" and you will get a huge number of results. Check out some of them.

5. dez_666

dez_666

in IE, go to Internet options in general tab click FONTS. change em there :3

Also if it seems small in IE go to view -> Text size and make it bigger.

6. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

I can't use ClearType because my monitor can't handle it. It's blurry and headache-inducing.

I know sites set their sites to read in a certain font. I know it depends on whether the user has the font installed, though. Therefore, I guess my question is what fonts do those sites prefer? I know you can normally go through the source code, but where in the source code?

7. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

Here's another example of the font acting funky:

[​IMG]

It's now using squares to encrypt the password whereas it used to use bullets.

8. WarmCurb

WarmCurb Thread Starter

Sorry for bumping this, but can someone go to facebook.com and tell me which font it uses. I will then download that font.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!