1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In need of help, PLease!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbnonn, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbnonn

jbnonn Thread Starter

Trying to repair a gateway computer for a friend. When I received it the computer beep 3 times. move memory to other bank and I got rid of the beeps, but no picture On screen, drive and cpu fan turn on, but nothing else.

I have swap out motherboard and cpu, ram, video card, PSU, and also reset Bios. I have installed all other item in a second case, with the same problem. Can not figure out the problem. Please HELP!!!

Gateway Intel 850 motherboard
    2.2 Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz CPU
    256 RDRAM PC800

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

You're right, 3 beeps is normally a RAM problem (although it could also be the graphics card). The Rambus RAM on an 850 motherboard is a bit funny to set up and may catch some people out. It has 4 RAM slots, and there must be a stick in every slot, so even if you have just 2 sticks of RAM you need a blank stick in each of the other 2 slots as well. The blank sticks are called C-RIMMs (continuity RIMMs). The sticks need to be installed in matching pairs. So if you have two sticks of RAM and two C-RIMMs, the two sticks of RAM go in slots 1 and 2, and the C-RIMMs in slots 3 and 4. If you have 4 sticks of RAM you don't need the C-RIMMs, but make sure slots 1 and 2 are the same, and slots 3 and 4 are the same.

While you're at it, check the motherboard for swollen or burst capacitors, it's not uncommon for motherboards of that vintage to die like that. If you see any capacitors like the ones in this picture, it's time to throw the computer out and get a new one: http://www.pcstats.com/ArticleImages/200705/BurstCapacitors.jpg

3. jbnonn

jbnonn Thread Starter

Thanks Arcadion, did not know about the blank stick with th RDRAM chips, Problem fixed. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice