1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IN NEED OF URGENT HELP! Computer starts, 3 sec. later goes into sleeping mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lafantasygrl, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lafantasygrl

lafantasygrl Thread Starter

Can someone, Anyone, please help me ASAP. I actually just started web designing and of coarse all my designs and other files are on my computer so please anyone Im desperate for help and ASAP.

Whenever I start my computer, 3 seconds later it goes back into sleep mode and will keep repeating that process until I turn it off or push all these buttons (lol). No but serious, I have tried the F8 Safe Mode but it brings up the menu and right when I press enter to use it it just enters the sleep mode again and does the same thing. I have also tried to do the last known good configuration or whatever and it also just does the same thing. It will let me go into my bios menu but I'm not to familiar with that. However, I did mess around a little in there to see if anything would work but no luck. Oh one other thing, one of the times I tried to boot it back up it displayed a screen which I wrote down and it says:

DDR Frequency 266 MHZ Dual Channel, Liner Mode
    Checking NVRAM
    512 Mb... OK

Auto detecting Pri. Master IDE Hard Disk
    Auto detecting Sec. Master ATAPI CD-ROM
    Auto detecting Sec. Slave ATAPI CD-ROM

Pri. Master 3.04 ST3160021A
    Ultra DMA MODE-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable & Status OK

Sec. Master 2.0c Sony DVD RQ DW 414A
    Ultra DMA MODE-2

Sec. Slave 0015 HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B
    Ultra MODE-2

Auto Detecting USB Mass Storage Devices
    00 USB Mass Storage Device found & Configured

Power Fan Abdnormal
    (INS) Pressed
    PRESS F2 to run setup

And yes I did try to F2 setup, and that was the bios menu I was talking about. The only thing that kinda looks funny to me is the ones that I marked in red. Anyways, I don't know if this can help anyone to be able to help me but like I said PLEASE if you can, try to get at me ASAP. I have so many work files on there and I'm hoping I can still access them without having to do a whole system restore and erasing all of them.

Well Thanks in advance,
    LaFantasyGrl ;)

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

The above line is telling you that a system fan is either not working or not being detected, so the system is powering down to stop it from overheating.

You may have a setting in your bios to switch this off, however if the fan is malfunctioning and you do this, you may overheat your system and cause irreversible damage. Did you inadvertently change any bios settings ?
    To check that it is not a bios setting fault, I would set your bios to it's default settings. Depends on the type of bios you have to which key will load the defaults (failsafe settings). Enter your bios again and look for the info telling you which key it is. (usually F5 or F7) then hit F10 to save the defaults and exit the bios)

If you still get the same problem occuring after you have loaded the defaults, your next step is to look for any connections to your fan/s that are loose etc.

Try that and post back.

3. lafantasygrl

4. lafantasygrl

DAMN, now that was quick. Thanks for the ASAP reply.

About the Bios Menu, yes I did try to set it to the default settings and also it does have a place where it shows the power fan settings but It just says:

Enable
    N/A
    Disable

I have tried all three settings but no luck. It says Not Detected on my original page that shows what setting its currently on. So, do you think its something that I have to take into a repair place or do you have any other advise that might help. Oh, about finding the loose cables, what do you mean exactly. You dont mean to open it up right? Its cool if I have to I just know how hard it is to do that and if it would be hard to put back. But in order to see the cables, that would be the only way I would be able to see them. Sorry thats probably a dumb question I just wasnt sure you meant to check the connections through the computer or settings or the actual computer. Anyways, my computer is actually pretty new. Its not eve a year old and its a Sony-Vaio so Im not sure if it should be causing me this problem yet. But I am always on the computer, at least 80-100 hours a week, and to I do leave it on a lot so I dont know. Also I do a lot of animations and graphics so a huge amount of my memory is used up already. I dont think the fan has anything to do with the animation but Im just not sure if maybe theres even another problem effecting my computer. Well if you have anymore advise please write back. Thanks again for you IMMEDIATE response.

Thanks,
    LaFantasyGrl1

5. EvileYe

EvileYe

Ok,

If your computer is less than a year old, I would definately be taking it back to the store you bought it from, if you are still getting the fan error message, it has probably had a fan die on you, if it is just a connection, then opening the case to look for it may void your warranty. I think this one is best left to someone professional to have a look at. If it is just a fan, your data should be left intact.

6. lafantasygrl

7. Dan O

Dan O

LaFantasyGrl1,

You forgot to post your comments in your last posting.

8. lafantasygrl

Sorry, just got your reply. Just wanted to thank you for your help. Im actually going to Best Buy right now to take it in to them. Im just hoping they dont sit there and try to take the easy way out by doing the recovery process, deleting all my files. But Ill make sure to talk to them before and let them know whats up. Anyways, thanks again.

Sincerely,
    LaFantasyGrl1

9. Dan O

Dan O

I wish you good luck.

10. lafantasygrl

thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!