1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In Russian XP some symbols look like squares

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaanush, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaanush

jaanush Thread Starter

Hello!
    I have such a problem that after installing XP in Russian, special diacritical characters in one program I'm using, Folio Views, appear as squares. Everything else is normal, but I'm using a database in Folio Views with sanskrit language, and diacritics appear as squares.
    BUT, when I install Russian or English Windows 7, then everything works fine. AND, when I install English XP, then everything is also fine. So there must be some modification in this Russian XP, what could it be?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Have you got the full Cyrillic Unicode showing in Control Panel>Regional and Language?

3. jaanush

jaanush Thread Starter

You mean the language for programs not supporting Unicode? This is set to Russian. What do you mean full unicode?
    Another point is that if I use English XP and have system locale set to Russian, then still everything is fine.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Sorry I couldn't be more specific before but I was using a Mac and couldn't check eth XP settings. In my XP installation, I have UK English set as my main language, UK English, Hungarian and Russian as input languages, along with a Russian keyboard and in the Unicode, I have 1007 MAC ticked.

Which Cyrillic characters cause the square to show up? An example of one too complex for normal display would be zhe for which the Unicode is U+0416 - if that works manually it should also work on its own.

5. jaanush

jaanush Thread Starter

Actually the problem is not with russian symbols. The problem is that while using a program called Folio Views (a database program) on a russian XP, then while opening a database with sanskrit letters, all the special sanskrit symbols appear as squares. I don't think that it's connected to the unicode thing, since even when I change it to english and do restart, it's still the same problem. And on an engish xp, even when I have russian selected under unicode, sanskrit is still appearing fine in Folio Views. So what could it be? I really need it to look fine, I'm working with it every day and I have to know what exact sanskrit words are being used, right now I'm only guessing.
    I also added a screenshot to show what I mean.

Attached Files:

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm afraid I can't help with Sanskrit other than to suggest it may help to tick the "install the extra files for complex Eastern languages" box in Control Panel>Regional and Language>Languages tab. That will only work if a Russian installation of XP has that option - I've no way of knowing until March :D. Hopefully someone else can be slightly more immediate help.

This demonstration of the zhe Cyrillic character Ж is clipboarded from the Character Map in Start>All Programmes>Accessories but I don't see Sanskrit in there -possibly because I don't have that language installed. Can you see it in your installation?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice