1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In Thunderbird, why does font size change while I'm typing responses?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I use Thunderbird 3.1 with Windows 7. When I am typing responses, the font and type size will just change (seemingly) arbitrarily. Then I have to go back and select and change everything.....how can I set this to just stay the same all the way through...? And btw, I've tried the font setting, but it won't hold.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If it's happening at random when composing (as opposed to editing a quoted reply and inheriting the font settings from it), then it's probably a bug I've sen reported in 3.1.

There's not much you can do about it until the developers fix the problem.
    A work-around you can try is to use an HTML style sheet inserted as a signature.
    That would give you a "true" default for the font.

Use something like this.
    Code:
    <style type="text/css"> body {font-weight: [COLOR="Red"]bold[/COLOR]; font-size: [COLOR="Red"]12[/COLOR]pt; font-family: [COLOR="Red"]Book Antiqua[/COLOR];} </style>
    Customize the parts in red to your selections.
    Save it as an HTML file and set it as a signature in your Account settings.

T. :)

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your response. I couldn't work with HTML; helpless in that regard- so I'll just live with it unless someone else finds a work-around. It's just an annoyance that I can live with.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If you post what font and what size you want to use, I can post code that you can just copy and paste into a Notepad and then "Save as" HTML.
    Then you just click Tools>Account Settings and check "Attach this signature" and browse to the saved HTML.

If you change your mind, it's dirt simple to do and I'd be happy to help.

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, I'll try to find a minute and have you do that. How kind of you; I appreciate it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice