1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

In WinXP @ sign in screen it goes black for a second...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yakkum, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yakkum

Yakkum Thread Starter

Okay, I'm sure that this problem is nothing to be worried about. It has been this way for a while and I don't really mind it but I'm just not sure if my LAPTOP has always done this or if it started a while ago.

Anyway, during boot up when it goes to the sign in screen after a few seconds it will go to an all black screen like the video isn't getting to the screen for about a second (or two maybe). It doesn't seem to affect anything else but I was just wondering what might be causing this or if it is normal or what.

If I type my password in really fast and get it to load the desktop it will still go black on the desktop for a second too. It seems to do this on every boot up.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and what I could do to stop it?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't know how to stop it, but this system blanks the screen three times when the first graphic boot screen with the progress bar is displayed. When the bar gets all the way across, it pauses for about 10 seconds and does the blanking dance for some reason. It's done it since I installed it, I can only assume that it's the video drivers initializing for some reason. Curiously, I can force that behavior by setting the nVidia nView option for TV-Out in properties, it also does the same dance at about the same speed.

3. cnm

cnm

Normal. Screen will go black every time the OS changes the video mode.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't know why it would be changing it's video mode, other systems with the same patch level of W2K don't blink that screen. I do suspect it has something to do with the video drivers, but since it doesn't hurt anything, I haven't bothered to look for it. :D

5. Yakkum

Yakkum Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I won't fret over it.

6. wguido

wguido

I have the same problem with my Dell Laptop, when I start up, the screen gpes black for a second and my mouse moves to the middle of the desktop. It is really annoying, how do I get rid of it? It stopped for a while, but it started doing it again...

7. Yakkum

Yakkum Thread Starter

Hey, that's the exact same thing that happens to me. I don't really know how to get rid of it, but these people seem to think it's normal. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

8. wguido

wguido

But it is soooo annoying!

9. cnm

cnm

Most monitors go black when you change video mode. Windows comes up in Web colors - a selection of 216 colors from the colors available in 16-bit color, and then changes to your setting, which is probably 24- or 32- bit color. The Windows splash screen comes up in 800*600 resolution and then switches to whatever you have configured.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice