1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

in WORD, Up arrow doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ChillYoda, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChillYoda

ChillYoda Thread Starter

For some strange reason I can no longer use my UP arrow in Word. I press it, nothing happens at all. I never realized how much I needed it until I lost the use of it!

The reason this is remarkably bizarre is because...
    a: my UP arrow works everywhere else. Everywhere - in Excel, in Outlook, on the internet, in all other software, programs, applications, etc.
    b: MS Word exhibits NO other problems (including the full usage of the other three arrows, down, left & right).
    c: the function where you hold the CTRL key down and then press an arrow to move an entire line up or down or an entire word left or right works just fine, even with the UP arrow!!!

This is one of the strangest problems I've ever encountered involving a computer, and everyone I mention it to agrees.

How can I get the usage of my UP arrow back in Word? Can anyone help?

(FYI: My DELL Latitude D630 laptop runs XP and it's MS Word 2003 (v. 11.xx).

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi ChillYoda,
    Does your scroll lock happen to be on?

3. ChillYoda

ChillYoda Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, Wendy.
    No, scroll lock is not on. I really thought that was the problem too but turning scroll lock off/on doesn't have any effect on this odd problem.

4. icue

icue

Try turning off "num lock" and using the 8 on your keypad.

5. icue

icue

Also check ---Tools-options-Edit tab. check "use smart cursoring"

6. ChillYoda

ChillYoda Thread Starter

Thanks for the the responses, folks, but I tried both of the suggestions with no results.
    I'm on a laptop so there's no number pad, although I wonder if I were to hook up another keyboard whether that'd make a difference....
    And I've never unchecked the smart cursoring box before so that was new to me, but that didn't change my issue either.

Like I said, this is quite bizarre. I've been searching for a solution for quite some time.
    I will take any and all suggestions!
    Thanks.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    But on most laptops, the right side of the keyboard becomes a 10 key pad when the "Num Lock" is on.

8. WendyM

Ahhh, on a laptop it could be one of the function keys. Try F4 and if that doesn't work, try F7.

9. ChillYoda

ChillYoda Thread Starter

I believe you might be correct, but mine is a not that type.
    Regardless, I have tried every combo with Scroll Lk, Num Lk, involving the Fn key and nothing makes a difference.
    Furthermore, all other keys work normally, so if the scroll, num, etc lock keys were on/off, then all arrows, numbers, etc would act the same way.
    ONLY my UP arrow is not working. And ONLY in WORD.
    But I do truly appreciate the input.

10. WendyM

Not necessarily. On laptops there are lots of reports of an arrow key not working in one specific program but continuing to work in others. People have had success with F4, F7 and just the Fn key without any other key. I'd try the other F keys (there are isolated cases where F3 or another key worked) just to make sure. I'm still looking for any other solutions.

11. ChillYoda

ChillYoda Thread Starter

I guess I've heard that as well. But unfortunately no combination of any of the function keys have had any effect on this particular problem. I can't tell you how many times I've run through the lot of them pressing each, then Fn with each one.
    (although I could have sworn that one time by pressing Fn and the F3 key I was able to temporarily use my UP arrow in WORD. But then it was gone. Or perhaps I was imagining it...)
    Anyway, this is frustrating. Thanks again for the input.

12. WendyM

And you've tried just Fn without anything else, correct?

13. ChillYoda

ChillYoda Thread Starter

OK, while "experimenting" (and I feel very stupid while doing it), I noticed that if I hit and hold the Fn key several times (still trying to figure out how many) and then hit the UP arrow, I have full functionality of the UP arrow - until I get to the top of the page. I go back down the page with the down arrow and then I can no longer go back up again - unless I repeat the same process of repeatedly hitting the Fn key and UP arrow until it moves up one line and then I can go all the way to the top.
    This is actually getting more bizarre...

14. rosyatrandom

rosyatrandom

Hi,

My girlfriend's laptop is exhibiting the exact same issue, down to the function key 'fix'. She has a Lenovo E320 running Windows 7 with Office 2010. I'll update with any more info as I look into it.

15. damorin

damorin

Hi,

got the same problem with Windows XP Pro in Outlook 2003. The UP arrow is working fine in all other applications.

I'm using a PS2 keyboard (just in case it could be usefull).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice