Inability to reach pages on internet

anamandy

Hi All, I wish I could download the free system info utility but while I have internet service I can't get online or download anything. That is what my question is about. I keep getting the message "Hmmmm… can't reach this page" on my desktop no matter what website I go on. My tablet and laptop work but are very slow. Last week we had a big storm here and I could no longer reach any page on the internet on my desktop, even though it looks like I have service. I tried everything that one normally is supposed to do - turn off modem to reboot, etc. A Spectrum technician finally came to my house and checked out the modem and said everything is okay on that end. Still, he replaced my modem anyway. When I troubleshooted my ethernet both before the new modem and after the replacement, I got the message that there was some issue with the router and point of access. I have spent the last 3 days trying to fix this issue and am literally mentally exhausted. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this, I would really appreciate it, because I am reaching the point of tossing this computer out the window. I'm using a Dell mini tower, 8GB memory, 1tb hard drive, running Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge. Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
It sounds like your desktop's ethernet adapter or cable is defective. Try that cable with the laptop and try another cable with the desktop.

My tablet and laptop work but are very slow.
Slow in general? Or internet access is slower than it used to be?

Do you have a separate router, or by "modem" do you mean a modem/wireless router combo?

And, finally, a rather irrelevant question, do you still have and use that computer with 128 mb Ram shown in your signature?

anamandy

Hi TerryNet, thanks for the reply. Sorry I never uploaded information for my other computers. The one in question is a Dell mini tower with 8gb mem, 1tb hard drive, running windows 10 and Microsoft edge.

Across the board all internet is slower on all devices, though a speed test shows I have 100mps (?).

The modem is an all in one.

I already switched cables and still the same problem. Also tried those cables with my laptop and it worked fine, so I don't think it is the cable itself.

One thing I noticed, when I turn off the modem, wait, then put it back on, I get internet access on the desktop, then a few minutes later it goes right back into Hmmm...can't reach this page.

anamandy

Oh, just want to add that this even happens (can't reach page) when I remove the ethernet cable and go wireless on the desktop.

anamandy

It sounds like your desktop's ethernet adapter or cable is defective. Try that cable with the laptop and try another cable with the desktop.

Slow in general? Or internet access is slower than it used to be?

Do you have a separate router, or by "modem" do you mean a modem/wireless router combo?

And, finally, a rather irrelevant question, do you still have and use that computer with 128 mb Ram shown in your signature?

My system information is at the end of this message. Forgive me if I am ignorant, but I don't understand. I changed to 3 different cables and still got the same result. Both ethernet and wifi gives me the same issue.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter. It works for about 10 minutes and then I'm back to 'can't reach this page.'

I reset TCP/IP settings. After rebooting was able to reach pages again, for about 10 minutes. Then it was back to 'can't reach this page.'

I also pinged google and got results so it seems my NIC is okay.

I've done so many things that I can't remember offhand that it is making my head spin. Please, if anyone knows what else I can do I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
Just thought of a less obvious possibility. Do you now have, or ever had, a third-party security program (Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc.) on this system? If so, uninstall it and run its Removal Tool if one is provided.

anamandy

Yes, at one time I had Avira. It created a conflict so I removed it. Whenever I remove a program I use WinDirStat (program files/program data) to make sure it is gone and then I look in my startup folder, and if I see anything there, I deselect it. That was a while ago though and no problems. I hate the idea of doing a complete wiping of this machine because I have everything arranged the way I want it right now.

anamandy

Okay, I found out that Windows Updates created most of the problem. In particular KB4556799, and to a lesser degree KB4552931 and KB4549951. Forbes wrote an article about this problem here - https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...4556799-free-windows-10-upgrade/#728dbb125aff

I delayed automatic updates and deleted the KB4556799 and got my internet back but after a while I got the can't reach the page message again. I tried to delete the other two updates that also have issues and kept getting the message that they weren't fully installed so I couldn't remove them. So I started win update again to finish installing them and they did but I still can't delete them. Fortunately, the worst of the bunch KB4556799 didn't reinstall and it looks like I can now reach web pages but I don't know for how long. Maybe the fact that I completed the update on the other two resolved the issue, though time will tell. The problem is that windows 10 no longer allows you to choose which updates to apply, so if you get a bad update, all you can do is delete it and delay updates until Microsoft resolves the issue (which takes time because it needs to happen to enough people before Microsoft becomes aware of the problem). Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this issue is fixed. I will update as I go along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts