1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inaccesible_boot_device

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by basila, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. basila

basila Thread Starter

I have a PC running Windows 2000 Pro with 1012 MB of memory and a Raid array with two 80 GB HDD. The PC has been running OK for the last 4 months but now it seems to attempt to load windows and it get the progress bar but then the blue screen of death is displayed with the message:

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I have attempted to boot with a DOS disk but I am not able to see the C: drive.
    I have purchase Mcafee VirusScan and used the Emergency disk but I only get an insufficient memory message. I have also tried Norton AntiVirus but the Rescue disk will not work with Win2000.

I have a feeling that itÂ’s a boot sector virus but cannot seem to find any software on the internet.that will detect or fix it

Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

There must be an error code that follows the error message, will you post that as well. It may explain the error....

3. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

4. basila

basila Thread Starter

cybertech,

Thanks for the reply. There is an error code before the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE message. This is:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF95A39D0, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Plus there is some text that states that I may have a virus, or my have installed new hard disk (which I have not), and suggests that I run CHDSK /F (which I have attempted but the program could not detect my drive).

Mr_Webmaster

I have attempted to reinstall but again when I boot from the Win2000 Proc CD it tells me it cannot detect a disk. However, I know that it can detect a disk because my Raid controller states that the drives are functional and Windows starts to load and I see the "Starting Windows" progress bar then the Windows 2000 Pro loading screen (with Win logo) and then I get the blue screen of death with the above message.

Any more help would be appreciated

5. cybertech

Ok, that's good information which I will research further for you.

Did you by chance apply a Service Pack or update just prior to this happening? Add or remove any hardware or software?

This is NTFS I gather, so no you will not be able to access the drive by booting to DOS. You could try installing the Recovery Console which will allow you access to the drive. Here's the M$ site with instructions.

6. basila

basila Thread Starter

Cybertech,

I cannot remember applying a hot pack but I may have applied an update using the automatic update in Win2000.

Yes it is NTFS. I cannot install the Recovery Console as I cannot see my hard disk at all. Further, I used the your link to install Recovery Console on my working PC and I have spent the last two hours fixing the problems that has caused. I had to repair windows twic. I think everything is back to normal now apart from Outlook.

I have looked in Microsoft knowledge base and found some similer errors one of which talks about installing win2k on a mirrer. Do you think this has anything to do with my Raid controller which may be faulty

7. cybertech

Is the drive seen in the bios?
    If you have partition magic check and see if the partition hidden.

I'm not sure how you would check that.

I have found, in relation to the STOP 0x0000007B message, this could be a boot sector virus.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice