1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inaccessible Boot Device after cloning a SCSI to IDE drive in NT Server with Ghost

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MEtten, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MEtten

MEtten Thread Starter

After an entire weekend working on this project, I am beat. I have a client who has a Windows NT Server and is replacing a 4 GB SCSI hard drive with a 20 GB IDE. System sees the new drive. I have used Ghost to create the clone of the original drive from the 4 GB SCSI to the 20 GB IDE. That worked fine. However, after removing the SCSI drive to boot from the 20 GB IDE, I repeatedly obtain the STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I have been in contact with Symantec and they have not been of much help. I have seen the article from Microsoft regarding the error as well but have not had much luck. :confused:

My question is by chance, has anyone else experienced a similiar situation and what has been your resolution? I would be extremely grateful to anyone who may have an answer to this problem.

Thank you for any help you may provide. I have not seen a similiar thread here on this forum of a clone from a SCSI to an IDE.

2. natcom

natcom

In your BIOS you should have a feature that allows you to choose to boot from either IDE or SCSI first. It sounds as if you have scsi listed as first.
    Change this to read IDE first. This will allow you to boot into Windows NT 4.0. server

3. natcom

natcom

also There are a number of considerations that you need to understand to make this move successful. Even then it might not work.
    Black screen with flashing cursor in the uppper left corner means didn't find a drive with a boot sector.

First you have to make sure the U160 driver is loaded and set to boot in NT. The drive that gets the image must be set to id0/bootable by the scsi bios.

Otherwise, if this doesn't work, you can do your ghost to the U160 and then do a repair install where you hit f6 during the hardware detection phase and load the u160 driver via floppy disk. This should keep all your apps [this is repair not new install] but you will have to do all your service packs again. This will set this controller as the boot device.

Last but not least you have to have the other scsi drive out of the system. I wouldn't have any drives in the system except the U160 until you can boot normally. I would even take out the other controller to free up resources.

4. MEtten

MEtten Thread Starter

Hi Natcom ! Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked into the BIOS and no it does not have such a setting - only as boot order setting to boot from either cd, floppy or hard drive. I actually even tried removing the SCSI card completely - still no luck. Again, I appreciate the suggestion natcom !

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I would expect trying to clone a SCSI drive to an IDE one would give that error.

6. MEtten

MEtten Thread Starter

Hi Bob,

I do know that cloning from a SCSI to an IDE is possible and proven approach given the posts on the internet stating that Ghost can be used to do so and has been done so successfully.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can clone a SCSI to IDE drive with no problem. But you might not be able to boot from it.

Can you please post some of the links you found where it was stated that you could.

Also, you might try cloning with the same size partition on the new drive as the one on the old one. I've seen not doing this cause problems as well.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

natcom,

Is there a repair install with NT Server. Didn't recall seeing that option for that particular OS.

9. natcom

natcom

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Didn't see where any of those pages specifically addressed the problem of failing to boot after cloning NT 4 server from a SCSI to IDE drive. Or did I miss something. Have you ever actually successfully tried this. From experience this doesn't work too well.

11. MEtten

MEtten Thread Starter

Hi Bob,

I believe I have tried thois using the same partion size. I have tried using the Ghost.exe switches of -id, -ib and the ntiid with no luck.

12. rezt0ne

rezt0ne

mite be out of my depth here but wen i hav boot device problems in xp i use automated system recovery to use the fixmbr command... dont know if anything similar in NT, and i wouldnt rush and do it unless sumeone a bit clued up thinks it mite work

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice